Chapter Twelve, Part Two

It was a shame, Lucian thought. A marriage based on convience.

Lucian looked at his friend and studied him. It would seem that being the second son of the Duke of Kilbourne, James was heavily occupied with his travel guide and gave no damn to what was expected of him. his brother, Maurice seemed to have the burden of responsibility knowing that he would one day succeed his father's dukedom and estates.

That was not to say that he was complaining himself. Lucian knew his duties. Just as he was about to say another word to James, "My lord! Is that you, Lord Herbert?"

Lucian looked up to see the Countess of Sandwich making her way towards him with her daughter, Lady Alicia Montagu following in her mother's stead.

"Lady Sandwich," said Lucian, as he took her hand and kissed.

"I didn't think I would be seeing you here, my lord," Lady Alicia said, her blue eyes sparkling.

"I tend to prefer the country," Lucian replied, smiling at the lady.

Lady Alicia would be a fine choice to become his wife. She was of the ideal classic beauty in the ton. beautiful blonde hair styled in the latest Pompidou hairstyle.

Lucian froze in his thoughts. Why the bloody hell was he thinking about Lady Alicia as a wife?

He knew that his mind was wandering elsewhere. But his heart, his heart longed for Anna. However, he wondered if Anna wanted him. That secret tryst in the study chamber suggested that there was a possibility but he wasn't sure.

"It's a pleasure to seeing you here as well, Lord James," said Lady Alicia and Lucian snapped from his woolgathering and turned to see Lady Alicia talking to James.

"It's good be here, my lady," James said.

"I'm eagerly awaiting the next travel guide," Lady Alicia said. Lucian could hear the excitement in her voice.

James smiled at her and said, "I'm glad that you are eager for next instalment, Lady Alicia."

"Where will you be going next?" Lady Alicia asked.

Seeing that James and Lady Alicia were occupied with one another and deeply engrossed with their conversation, Lucian decided that it was best that he left them to their conversation.

The ball was going magnificently well, thought Edward. The normally quiet ballroom was alive with entertainment tonight. Everyone was celebrating the newly married Marquess of Douro and he should be celebrating with them. however, his mood was not all celebratory as what he truly felt towards his wife was frustration.

He just couldn't understand her at all.

He was watching her now, chatting with Lady Arthur Graham and Lady Hereford. From what he could see of her expression was that she seemed to be enjoying herself.

"Not in the mood for your own party?" a female voice asked him from behind.

Edward turned around to see Miss Phoebe Abernathy standing behind. He had seen Miss Abernathy in Boston as she was a friend of Madeleine. Thy were never introduced to each other, so Edward was surprised by Miss Abernathy's bold move. Did she not know the etiquettes here?

"I'm glad Lady Douro is enjoying herself," Miss Abernathy went on.

Clearly, she expected a reply, so Edward cleared his throat and replied, "My lady wife is most certainly enjoying herself."

He smiled at her and said, "Are you enjoying yourself, Miss Abernathy?"

Her dark hazel eyes sparkled as she smiled. "I most certainly am."

Edward was struck by her appearance the same way he was in Boston. It was so strange and yet he couldn't understand how similarly she resembled him sand his father.

Was there a true possibility that Miss Abernathy was related to him? Edward snorted at that thought.

"Since we seem to have been successful here. Fathersaid we'll be opening a hotel branch in Paris," she went on.

"Have you ever been to Paris, Miss Abernathy?" He asked her.

Miss Abernathy shook her head. "It will be my first time."

She paused and asked him, "Have you been to Paris, my lord?"

Edward nodded. "It's a very beautiful city. Enchanting and romantic."

Now that he thought of it, he wished he brought Lexa there instead of Scotland.

"Paris is like a woman," said Miss Abernathy, "you can't help but fall in love. That is what my brother says."

"Your brother sounds poetic," Edward said.

"Yes," agreed Miss Abernathy, "He can be a dreamer."

Shortly after she said that Edward looked over to see Lexa headed towards them. Edward was enjoying his conversation with Miss Abernathy but thought better and decided to end it.

"I do hope that your trip Paris is enjoyable," he said, as Lexa reached him.

Miss Abernathy smiled and thank him. she smiled at Lexa and said, "I'll be leaving you too."

She curtsied to the both of them and left.