Chapter Fifteen, Part One

For once the weather was nothing but splendid. June entered with nothing more but a bit more sunshine. It was perfect for the roses that were beginning to blossom in the tea garden of Drumbroke Manor.

Lexa was sitting outside sipping on her afternoon tea thinking about what she might wear to the ball hosted by the Abernathys. In truth, she was most eager to see Phoebe before her dear friend departed back home to the United States. After all, from what she heard from Dora, their stay in Britain was temporary and for the purpose of launching first of many hotels to come.

Lexa watched as the servants set the platter of biscuit in front of her. At the same time, she flipped the page of book. She was currently reading a collection of poems written by Algernon Charles Swinburne. She picked it up in the library earlier and decided to read it.

"Oh, there you are," a voice said.

Lexa looked up and found Edward standing in front of her.

"May I join you?" He asked.

Lexa smiled at her husband with warmth. It was good that the tension between the two of them eased. And just in time for the ball, where they would be introduced into society together.

"You may," Lexa said.

Edward smiled at his wife and joined her by sitting across from her. The weather was beautiful and the flowers that were beginning to bloom in the garden were going to look splendid.

"Everyone's looking forward to the ball," Edward told his wife.

Closing her book, Lexa nodded and said, "I'm very much looking forward to speaking with Miss Abernathy."

"Is she leaving for New York?" Edward asked.

"Yes," Lexa conformed, "After the ball. She will return to New York City."

"It'll be good for you to see each other one last time then," Edward said.

Lexa nodded as she took another sip of her tea.

***

It would seem that the warm July weather went into the evening. Lexa was dressed in her most finest as the new Marchioness of Douro.
She was walking alongside Edward, observing the ballroom.

The ballroom was breathtaking beautiful. The architecture and design was different from the other ballroom she'd seen in the London. The gilded ballroom indicated how wealthy and powerful the  Abernathys were. The floor was marbled which allowed light in the room to brighten even further.

Lexa noticed Phoebe in the centre, chatting with a few ladies. She looked in her element as the hostess. Lexa made a mental note to talk to her later.

Suddenly the band started the music and the guests began making their way towards the ballroom floor. In pairs, they started to dance.

"Shall we?" Edward asked beside her. Smiling, Lexa nodded and took her husband's hand and allowed him to lead her on to the dance floor.

Dancing commenced and Lexa was whisked into her husband's arm. Looking around, she spotted Julie dancing with a familiar gentleman. Immediately then, she realized that the gentleman was Robert Garroway, Marquess of Anglesey. Lexa smiled at the thought of the two of them. She was reminded of Julie's infatuation with the young marquess and did hope that they end up together.

Edward was quizzical about Lexa's smile and asked his wife, "What amused you so?"

"Nothing in particular," Lexa replied and then added, "I must say, I find this hotel rather beautiful."