Chapter Five, Part Two

Later that evening, Edward was walking around the shops with Madeleine in Millennium Avenue. It was a while since he has been around the shopping district of Millennium, and Edward was glad that he was here.

 "Oh!" said Madeleine as they neared the stores. "Let's see the jewellers."

And they entered the newly opened Tiffany's & Co. and pushed the door open the bells chiming signalize the owner that he had costumers. He was an elderly bespectacled man with curling white hair. When he noticed Madeleine, he smiled at her and said, "Good evening Miss Young. What brings you here?"

"Mr. Cooper," said Madeleine addressing, "Do you have the diamond earrings I ordered?"

"Yes," said Mr. Cooper as he walked around the front counter. Lifting one finger, he said, "One moment," before slipping into the back of the store. While Mr. Cooper was getting Madeleine's earrings, Edward moved his feet and looked around the display of various earrings, necklaces, rings, and bracelets.

He wondered what Lexa would like as a gift. She didn't wear much of earrings as he remembered that she wore none, but she did seem to prefer necklaces, and Edward did notice as he courted her, that she wore a blue-purple alexandrite and on the day of Lady Matilda's ball, she wore a pearl necklace.

 And then he saw the perfect one. It wasn't really perfect but Edward felt that it would suite Lexa and compliment her gray eyes. It was a deep blue sapphire necklace where tiny diamonds rimmed around it. It clung with a sliver chain and Edward wanted it. Wanted it for Lexa.

 "Are you going to buy it?"

Edward turned to see Madeleine looking at him, and she pointed to the necklace that Edward decided on, and asked, "Are you going to buy it?"

Edward nodded just as Mr. Cooper returned from the back storage and said, holding a case. "Here it is."

He passed the box to Madeleine, and she beamed at him and thanked him.

Edward the looked at Mr. Copper and said, "I'd like to buy the sapphire necklace, sirrah."

Mr. Cooper raised his brushy white eyebrows and asked, "For anyone in particular?"

Edward nodded, "My fiancée."

"Fiancée?" Hestia Young cried in exclamation that evening, "Why dear Eddie, you are far too young to get married."

That evening after Edward and Madeleine returned home. Madeleine, being the gossip she was, immediately went to her mother and told her about Edward's fiancée. Irritated that Horace dare not mention that her dearest nephew was getting married, Hestia summoned the entire family to dinner, where alas they were sitting now in the dinning room, eating roasted ducks for supper.

 "I mean," his aunt continued her tirade, "Most men your station would sow their oats and then marry. Preferably early thirties."

 "It was an arrange marriage, Hestia," Horace said to his sister.

"And pray you tell me who the lucky lady is?" Hestia asked, ignoring Horace.

  "Lady Alexandra Herbert."

There was silence after that. If was if Edward had declared that there was an alien in the room, and Hestia's hazel eyes widen and said, "You are to marry Alex? Good God, I can't believe its Alex."

 "How do you know her?" Horace asked

"How could I not? Alex came here to Boston to do her education. One of her aunts, my dear good friend, Lady Althea Herbert, married Dr. Harold Croft. As Althea was her guardian during her stay in America, she became still a dear to me. "

"Lexa mentioned the same about you," Edward said.

"Such a sweetheart that girl. Peculiar in ways, but still a sweetheart.""

"Peculiar in what way?" Edward asked, for he could never see Lexa as peculiar.

"She has a rather odd passion for science, you see.  Most girls would talk about the latest fashions, but Alex will talk about the mating of hedgehogs."

Edward blinked, but it was his father that spoke, "That is rather odd."

Hestia smiled, "She may have outgrown her interest in science, but Miss Pierce is still a good match your you."

"Miss Pierce?" Horace asked, confusedly, "Why does Lady Alexandra call herself Miss Pierce?"

Hestia shrugged, "I don't know. Perhaps, she wanted to fit in to society? Only Miss Pierce knows?"

 "I'm very intrigued by Lady Alexandra now," said Horace, "That girl is become more and more fascinating.  She's quite a match for you, Edward.

 Edward hid his smile, "She is indeed." Fascination with hedgehog? Who knew?

Then he turned to his father an asked, "When are we settling the wedding date anyways?"

 "April," Horace replied, "Tis a popular month for weddings. And as the saying goes 'marry April if you can, joy for the maiden and the man"

 "That is three weeks away!" Edward exclaimed, "Its not enough time for the wedding preparations! I mean, I proposed to her only...." He trailed realizing the weeks have fled quickly the last time he saw Lexa.

"Four weeks ago," his father calmly said. Edward glared at his father. Damn him for always being so calm.

Hestia laughing as she watched father and son quarrel. "Father was quite the same as you. I swear I'm having déjà vu."

"There is no déjà vu, Hess."

 "Yes there is," Hestia replied, "Remember when you were marrying Charlotte? Father set the wedding date three weeks after you proposed to her."

 After she said that, there was silence, and Edward continued to glare at his father, "When re we returning to London, may I ask?

 "Tomorrow," his father said, "I received an urgent letter that I must go to our main residence in Hampshire."

 "Oh so soon?" Hestia asked, "Must you go?"

"I'm afraid so, sister."

 Hestia sighed dramatically, and then Madeleine said, "Why don't you go, Mama?"

Hestia looked at her eldest daughter and said, "You know I cannot. Susanna needs me."

Edward looked quietly and said, "Why don't you come with us, Madeleine?"

Hestia cocked an eyebrow, "I think not. Madeleine is needed here." "What about Laura?" Horace asked.

"What about me?" Laura asked, after being so quiet for so long

"Would you like to come to London with us?" Horace asked her.

Laura's hazel eyes lit up, and then she turned to Hestia, "Can I, Mama? Can I go?"

Hestia pursed her lips and glared at Horace for even making a suggestion. But the pleading gazing in Laura's eyes made her relent, and Hestia sighed, "Very well. Your father is heading to London anyways so you can go with him."

Laura squeaked in delight. "Oh thank you, Mama."