Chapter Fourteen, Part One

"You need to tell her the truth."

Edward whipped back on his chair at the sound of his father's voice. He was in his study when His Grace sought him out.

"About your mother," Horace clarified.

Edward pursed his lips. The subject of his mother has always been taboo in this household. Lexa entered this marriage and this family ignorant of that fact. However, from what he saw, she was quick to catch on that something wasn't right.

He had to tell her the truth. He only prayed that she didn't find out the truth from another source.

"Where is she now?" Edward demanded.

"She went out with Miss Lyons," his father replied.

Edward sighed to himself.

Things were tense again, Lexa thought. She was staring at Edward's mother, who was  standing in front of her waiting for her reply. Lexa was unsure of where to go forward. She was curious about the mysterious woman that was Edward's mother.

"You may join me, Miss...?" Lexa was unsure of her name

"Charlotte, Marchioness of Douro," was the reply. But you may call me Charlotte since you are the new Marchioness of Douro."

"It's an honour to meet you, Charlotte," Lexa said, politely.

Charlotte smiled at Lexa and looked up to see the still pale Miss Lyons looming behind them. "Will you give us a moment to talk, Selena?" she asked Miss Lyons.

Miss Lyons narrowed her eyes at Charlotte but say nothing as she walked away.

"Is there something you wish to speak to me of?" Lexa asked.

"Not particularly," Charlotte said, "I merely wish to get to know my new daughter-in-law."

"I was surprised to hear that Edward had married," she continued to Lexa.

"Had Edward not told you of our marriage?"

Charlotte teared at the mention of her son and began weeping, "That child has abandoned me. I'm his beloved mother and he didn't even tell me of his marriage! Can you imagine, Lady Douro?"

The way Charlotte wept, the look of a weeping angel, made Lexa feel sorry for her.

She took her silk handkerchief from her pocket and handed it to Charlotte.

Charlotte took it graciously and wiped her tears.

"God bless you, my dear lady," Charlotte said.

Lexa smiled at Charlotte, her cheeks warming.

For the rest of the evening, Lexa had a wonderful chat with her mother-in-law. But the time Charlotte excused herself and left, Lexa felt nothing but pleasure from that meeting. Miss Lyons returned soon after Charlotte departed and with an expression of wariness, Lexa looked and questioned her.

"You mustn't trust her, my lady," Miss Lyons said.

"Whatever is the matter, Miss Lyons?" Lexa asked, "Charlotte was very kind to me."

Miss Lyons pursed her lips as the two of them started to walk away from the park, "Do believe me, Lady Douro. That woman..." she trailed, "something about her means trouble."

Lexa dismissed her maid's concern, "I fear you need some time off, Miss Lyons. Perhaps we ought to go to the theatre. Have you seen Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew?"

Lexa walked ahead of Miss Lyons unaware of the worry written on her maid's face. At the same time, she remember her mother's voice telling her in Danish, pas på løven i fåreskind. Beware of the lion in sheep skin.