Chapter Six, Part Two

For Americans who never saw the soils of Britain, it was an awe striking moment. Or so, that is what Edward concluded to himself as he and Laura walked down the banks of the Thames. Laura had been excited earlier this morning when he had suggest to give her a tour of the city. And while Edward had long called London home, to see many of the famous historic site considered attractions to foreigners, it wasn't interesting to him.

Laura gushed and bubbled as they exited St. Paul's Cathedral. The dome structure that everyone so recognized had been a replacement for the old church that had perished in the Great Fire of 1666. As they were merely minutes inside the church, Laura learned that the church had housed the funeral for the first Duke of Wellington, victor of the Battle of Waterloo and Admiral Nelson.

"You must be proud," said Laura, "to share such noble blood."

"You share his blood as well," Edward replied.

"Only indirectly," said Laura, "Whereas you share his name and honours."

Yes, Edward was raised knowing the prestigious lineage that he shared with the first Duke. His grandfather, who took pride in the family, reminded him relentlessly, and being a prideful man was furious when scandal ensued the family with his parents' divorce. Of scandal lived and breathed the air of aristocracy and they were no exception.

As Edward and Laura left Saint Paul's, they came across Harry, who was just coming back from Parliament.

"Eddie, old fellow," said Harry, "missed you at Parliament today. Dreadful bore without you."

"You seemed to live through it," said Edward, and Harry grinned at him.

"You abandoned a session for a lady lover?" Harry asked, eying Laura, as he winked at her, "Didn't think you had it in you. Poor Lady Alexandra."

Edward looked at his best friend, and said, disgusted, "This is my cousin, Miss Laura Young. Laura, this idiot of a person is my friend, Henry Montagu, Earl of Sandwich."

"How do you do?" asked Laura, as she lifted her hand. Harry kissed it, and said, "Enchanté, mademoiselle," his deep blue eyes giving her a flirtatious look. Laura could help but giggle.

But before Laura could fall under Harry's charms, Edward cleared his throat and said, "We best be off, Laura. If you wish to see the rest of the city before sundown."

"Of course," said Laura, as she broke her mesmerized look from Harry.

Harry, being the ever-perfect gentlemen-which was quite sickening-bowed to her and said, "Fair maiden, I bid you farewell."

"It was pleasure to meet you, Lord Sandwich." said Laura.

When Harry took off, Laura turned to him, and said, eyes sparkling, "What a handsome chap he is! And what gorgeous blue eyes! I think I'm in love."

Edward snorted. Leave it to Harry to have woman swoon over him. Henry Montagu, Earl of Sandwich, whom he had known since his Eton years. Harry to his friends was a lady's man, whose legendary male prowess was well known in London. He even managed to hit the scandals sheets once or twice.

A sad case it was really. Edward shook his head, and he and Laura walked away.

Asteria's arrival home was a joyous occasion. Amelia and Anthony, both exclamed and immediately hugged their middle daughter. Lucian and Amara were also pleased to see her.

"Oh my dear," said their mother during one evening at dinner, "I am ever so pleased that you made it home early."
"Aunt Althea was pleased that I managed to finish Bentley earlier than Lexa."
"And how is your aunt?"asked Anthony.
"She fares well,"said Asteria, "Cousin Bertha married a businessman and the wedding was splendid."
"Speaking of weddings," mused Amara, "Did you find any American gentleman that interested you?"
"Of course not. Americans are so unorthodox. I'm planning to marry British, and British only."
"Narrow-minded as always," said Lucian.
Asteria glared at her brother and said, "You need to marry."
"At the moment it's Lexa whose getting married."
Lexa, who was quietly eating, looked at Lucian and said, "There was no need to drag me into the conversation."
"Sorry, Lex," Lucian said.
"Lexa may be marrying first," said Asteria, "but its you that needs to produce an heir. Otherwise the earldom can go hang in hell."
"Asteria!" Amelia exclaimed.
"What? It is true," said Asteria, "You're not a viscount for any other reason."
Lucian was very annoyed with his sister, and Lexa privately smiled to herself. This is what she wanted. To be unnoticed during a conversation. She hated being dragged into conversations where the main topic was about her.
But, Lucian, being a pain in the ass, changed the subject and asked Asteria: "Pray, Asa. Have you met Lexa's fiancé?"
Lexa's head snapped up from her plate, and she glared at her brother.
Her glare was ignored as Asteria smiled and said, "Lord Douro? Why yes, I have. I met him on the way back to London. He was returning with his father from Boston. I believe Lady Hestia, his aunt, lives there."
"She does," said Lexa.
"He is quite handsome," Asteria went on, "I wonder how he will handle our sister's excentricity."
"I'm not eccentric," Lexa said defensively.
Rolling her eyes, Asteria looked at her elder sister, and said, "Only an eccentric will not ralize their excentricity."
"Just because I'm fond of the nature of things does not make me peculiar."
"That's one way of describing yourself," said Amara, "I am so pleased that you realized that."
Looking at her youngest sibling, Lexa glared at her and said, "You as well?
It was bad enough that I was been chastised by Ria and Luce, but you?"
Sighing to herself, Lexa eyed her parents, and said, "And pray, is there anything you two wish to add to the table?"
"You know well that we love you, Alexandra. Regardless of you interests," said her father.
"Though," sniffed her mother, dramatically, "I wished a many that she would've outgrown it. Talking about the latest fashions or the scandals of the season is what ladies of your age do. Not studying exotic creatures and the affairs of their nature."
"Oh Mama," sighed Lexa, "I am to be married soon."
"Precisely my point. You need to know that being Lord Douro's wife, you will need to cease your interest to be a proper marchioness."
Lexa pursed her lips, but nodded. Her mother never did approve of her interests in science and nature. while Lexa preferred to dirty herself with plants and animals, her conventional mother shuddered at the mere thought of it.
But of course she knew that she need to be a proper wife. The ideal wife, which was what society preferred. The angel in the house. But could Lexa conform to what society expected from her--from what her mother expected from her--without being herself? And what of Edward? Did he want a wife merely to produce his heir? His family, being a prestigious one, despised scandal. Or so, that s what her father told her once. All this thinking made Lexa bitterly gloomy.
"I know that, dear Mother," said Lexa, after a while, "but I believe that Lord Douro won't expect much of me when we marry."
"Lord Douro, not Edward?" Lucian teased.
"And its Anna, isn't it?" Lexa countered, "she was awfully upset when I returned, I wondered why."
Lucian shut his mouth, his cheek red with fury, and then stood up and excused himself. Before Anthony could say anything, Lucian was out the door.
Without feeling guilty, Lexa huffed to herself and thought, good riddance.