Chapter Ten, Part One

Richard Crawforde, Earl of Hereford was in his study when his butler, Ulysses Grant, appeared. Lord Hereford inquired Grant's presence and Grant presented him with an invitation. Thanking Grant, Hereford opened the letter to find an invitation to a wedding:

The Earl and Countess of Pembroke request your presence at the marriage of their daughter,
Lady Alexandra Herbert
to
Edward Wellesley, Marquess of Douro
June 21, 1884
London

Hereford was in deep thought when his lady wife entered and inquired what he is holding. He answered her.

"About time," his lady wife said, "I did fear their wedding would never come."

"Interfering again, Caroline?" Hereford inquired.

Caroline rolled her eyes,"You well know that I no longer interfere with personal matters of others, Richard."

Hereford nodded and went back to his papers.

"And that also means that we too are going," said Caroline snatching up his papers from in front of him

Hereford was not pleased, "My papers please?"

"We need to go out," said his wife.

"Where to?" inquired her husband.

"To the markets, of course," replied his wife, "I'm in need of a new parasol."

Hereford groaned but relented, "Of course, love."

The twenty-first of June, Edward would forever remember this day, as he stood at the altar with the priest waiting for his bride. Today, finally, their fates would be sealed. Today, he would come out of this church a married man.

The thought nerved him.

Then, the guests turned towards the door down the aisle, and the door opened to see Lexa, dressed in a fine white wedding dress, her face veiled with a transparent veil. Her eyes met his, as she slowly came down the aisle, perched on her father's arm to him.

They stood face to face as the priest clear his throat and began, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in the sight of God to join this man, and this woman in holy matrimony. Not to be entered into lightly, holy matrimony should be entered into solemnly and with reverence and honour. Into this holy agreement these two persons come together to be joined. If any person here can show cause why these two people should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Edward looked at Lexa. He could believe it. She smiled back at him, those lovely dimples appearing, as the priest continued, "Who giveth this woman in holy matrimony to this man?"

Lord Pembroke said, "I do."

Now the exchange of vows began, the priest turned to him and Lexa and said, first to Edward, "Do you, Edward Reginald Llewellyn take Alexandra Marguerite Rose as your lawfully wedded wife, and live together forever in the estate of holy matrimony? Do you love, comfort, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse for as long as you both shall live?"

Edward said, clearly without a doubt, "I do."

The priest repeated the vows to Lexa.

Lexa replied, "I do."

The rings were handed to the priest. He blessed them, and said; giving Edward the first ring, "Repeat after me: with this ring, I thee wed."

Edward took Lexa's hand and said, "With this ring, I thee wed," and he slowly slipped the wedding ring on Lexa's left ring finger.