Chapter Eighteen

The day was a warm one. Lexa was enjoying a cup of tea in the gardens of the Earl of Hereford's garden. She was sitting with her dear friend, Caroline enjoying the tea and biscuits set out in front of her.

Caroline looked well. Her baby bump had grown considerably since her pregnancy announcement in the London papers. Everyone was eagerly wondering if the Countess of Hereford would fulfill her duty and birth an heir.

"Oh I am not all concerned with such nonsense," Caroline said, patting her belly gently.

Lexa smiled at her blossom friend, and questioned, "Do you have a name christened for the babe."

"I've considered the name Adeline should it be a girl."

"And a son?"

"I'm unsure myself, I'm afraid. Perhaps Richard shall be the one to name him."

Sipping her tea, Caroline looked to her friend and asked, "what of you? Is everything alright between you and Lord Douro?"

"We are," Lexa said.

Her cheeks turned warm with blush as she thought of the sweet kisses that she and Edward shared. That and the sweetness of sex that they shared.  The moments of passion was overwhelming with feeling.

The realization also her that she was also no longer a maiden. It was a odd feeling not being a virgin.

Caroline merely smiled knowingly. A married woman knows various things of secret. Seeing Caroline's smile made Lexa blush a deeper red. It was rather quite mortifying.

                                                ***
That afternoon when Lexa went strolling around Hyde Park with Miss Lyons, she was extremely astonished to see Julie Kingsley reading by the shade of the tree. At first she was unsure that it was Julie, for she had heard that Julie was in Gloucestershire.

"Julie!" Lexa cried.

Immediately, the two girls embraced each other with joy and Lexa joined her cousin by the duck pond. Juliet threw a couple of loaf to feed the ducklings. She then linked arms with Lexa and cheerfully said, "The weather is most wonderful, is it not?"

"Yes," Lexa agreed, "How is the family?"

"Quite well. Rosemarie has an understanding with someone. Mother is eager to have her married off."

"With whom?" Lexa asked, intrigued by this new development.

"He is the heir of a duke. Mother does not wish for us to settle for less than a duke."

"Lady Ashdale is rather ambitious," Lexa commented of her aunt.

Julie nodded and said, "it's good of Mama to be focusing on Rosie."

Lexa merely looked at Julie. Julie was of eighteen years. She was of age and had her first Season, which was an unfortunate failure as no suitor had come forward and proposed. That, and Lady Ashdale's ambition to marry her daughters to nothing less than a duke.

And Julie, Lexa mused of her cousin, was deeply infatuated with Lord Anglesey. If anything Lexa did wish then to be together.

Smiling, Lexa asked, "And what of Lord Anglesey?"

Julie's cheeks warmed at her dear Robert's name. Clearing her  throat, Julie replied, "His Lordship departed for his tour of the Continent."

"Is that so?" Lexa mused, "will you be writing to him?"

Julie blushed even more. It was quite adorable. Lexa could see how red Julie was becoming.

"I don't think I will be doing such a thing. It would be impolite of me and we are not engaged. We do not have an understanding."

"Of course," Lexa replied. Inwardly, she did wonder why not. Those two had known each other since childhood. They were bosom friends. But it wasn't for her to say.

"Well then," said Lexa, changing the subject, "shall we go elsewhere?"

Julie nodded and said, "I would very much like to see the National Portrait Gallery."

"It is a bit far," said Lexa, "but we ought to make it taking the train from Charing Cross Station."

It was then decided when the two girls made their way to Charing Cross Station.

It was such a conscience that London was modernizing in way that would benefit the general public. The new line, Charing Cross allowed them to make the trip to the National Portrait Gallery near Trafalgar Square in a few minutes' time.

Because the Gallery was free of admission, they did not pay an entrance fee. Soon, Lexa and Julie marvelled at the paintings of famous portraits of royalty and peers, politicians, and war heroes.

"Look," said Julie, "There's the first Duke of Wellington."

Lexa followed Julie's pointed finger and did indeed notice the portrait of the first Duke of Wellington. It looked as if it was an earlier painting of him, Lexa mused. There were countless of paintings of him in the family's Hampshire estate. Looking at the duke now, Lexa could some resemblance he shared with Edward.

They continued exploring the other paintings, admiring the handwork of the oil canvas in which they were painted on.

"Lady Douro," a voice said, out of the blue.

Startled,  Lexa and Julie turned around and were surprised to see Charlotte Abernathy standing behind them. Lexa more so was surprised and wondered how on earth Edward's mother found her.

"Mrs. Abernathy," Lexa replied, concealing her shock, "what pleasure to see you."

Charlotte smiles at Lexa. It was a rather a cold smile, almost as if the lady was silently mocking her. "Pleasure  is all mine, my lady."

Julie, unaware of the connection between the two of them, asked confused, "Lexa. Do you know this lady?"

Lexa turned to Julie, aware of her companion's confusion and said, "Do forgive me, cousin. But it would seem that I must return home."

"Oh?" Charlotte said, "but I was so hoping that I could chat with my dear daughter. I haven't gotten the chance to make my acquaintance."

Lexa stared at her angrily, realizing that the lady was indeed mocking her. Lexa pursed her lips and calmly and gracefully said, "I am not your daughter, madam. I have a mother if you must know."

Charlotte was not at all bothered by Lexa's cold tone, and Lexa said, "if you wish to have a word with me  ensure I receive your calling card  at my residence."

Lexa profoundly apologized  to Julie, who felt unsure of the matter that had just occurred, accepted Lexa's apology with the promise of future explanations. Lexa turned herself around and walked away. It was unfortunate that her day was ruined by the appearance of  Charlotte. As she made her way towards the Duke of Wellington's carriage, she wondered how she would explain this to Edward.

As the carriage made its way back towards to Drumbroke Manor, Lexa anxiously thought of how awkward this was all becoming. Perhaps it ought to be a good thing to invite Charlotte. A reconciliation between mother and son was an impossibility, but what Lexa strive for was peace. And peace is what she needed.