Chapter Nineteen

It was rather an uncomfortable thing that Charlotte had sought her out in the National Portrait Gallery. For what purpose did Charlotte have to disturb her morning. It was terrible enough that there was unresolved conflict between her and the Duke of Wellington.

Lexa had long concluded that she would never understand Charlotte. With everything that she had given up. Love. Family. Happiness. Was she merely a bitter woman? Did she wish to cause misery to everyone around her? Edward had explain to her what had happened between them.

Lexa sighed to herself. Even though she questioned the morality of Charlotte!s character, there was no way would she allow Charlotte to interfere with her family. She would not allow it.

The carriage rolled into a stop in front of Drumbroke Manor, as the door opened. She was escorted out of the carriage and made her wary inside as Dooley welcomed her back from her excursion.

"Is Lord Douro about?" she inquired of her husband.

"His Lordship is currently in his study. Shall I inform him of your arrival?"

"No," said Lexa, "I shall see to him myself."

And so, She had her way towards her bedchamber. With the assistance of Miss Lyons, Lexa quickly changed her outfit. She was now wearing a pale blue taffeta that had intricate lace designs on it.  She finished her outfit with a pearl choker.

After getting dressed, she made her way down the hallway where she stopped at her husband's study.

"I told you not to disturb me, Dooley," Edward's sharply said, "Do you ever list—"

He stopped when he noticed that it was not Dooley at the door but Lexa. Lexa merely looked at me with a knowing glance.

"What on earth has poor Dooley done to incur such irritation?"she inquired of her husband.

Edward merely replied, "He has incurred quite a lot from me."

Lexa smiled at her husband as she thought to herself. Would peace finally come with the interference of Charlotte? She prayed that was so. After all this was her family.

After a while, Edward looked at  his wife who was standing by the door, and inquired, "what bring you here, my dear lady? Have you enjoyed your outing?"

Lexa moved away from the doorway and sat on the chair in front of her husband's desk. "It was a lovely outing. Miss Kingsley accompanied me."

Edward raised an eyebrow, "I hadn't realized that Lord Ashdale had returned from Gloucestershire."

"They recently returned to London," Lexa  replied to his inquiry. She paused for a moment, realizing that the subject of his estranged mother was a sensitive one. But to be truthful is better than a falsehood.

Lexa sighed and said,"it is quite unfortunate that Mrs. Abernathy decided to intrude on my day."

The minute she mentioned his mother—a bit indirectly, she could see that Edward's smile fell and that he looked rather angry. She wondered with a little worry that he was angry at her for mentioning his mother.

Edward blew a frustrated sighed, and said, "I'm very sorry that she disturbed you, my dear." he continued on, "but it would seem that I cannot shake that woman off of me."

Lexa paused for a minute and than asked, "Might we then go to Hampshire? I have been longing to see the family's seat. Perhaps, we ought to take a break from London."

Edward thought about her words and realized that they have not yet been to Hampshire. Perhaps they ought get out of London. The only reason they have been staying in London was because of Season and of the fact that they had gotten married.

Edward looked at Lexa fondly and said, "That is a splendid idea, my dear. We shall be going to the family estate. I shall tell his Grace at once."

Lexa was most pleased hearing that Edward agreed with her suggestion. London was getting too dull for her. The countryside was were she was more at peace. She also could not contain her excitement as she wanted to see Stratfield Saye House. It was where the history of the famous Duke of Wellington was told and she was very eager to know about his tale, and now she would.

It was rather a good thing that His Grace agreed to going to the family seat. The Duke was equally wary of his ex-wife's interference. "The Season has long ended," he said, "and I've been yearning for a change of scenery."

And so, without fuss, the three of them, departed London that evening in the duke's carriage. Dooley, the butler departed earlier so that he could prepare for their arrival.

***

It had taken nearly a fortnight to reach Hampshire and as the carriage rolled towards the entrance of Stratfield Saye House, Lexa looked in awe as Edward helped her down the carriage.

"It is quite magnificent, my lord," Lexa remarked as she looked at the ancestral estate with awe. Edward smiled at her and replied, "I do look forward to showing you around, my dear."

"Then shall we go in?"

As  they went inside the manor, they were greeted by the entire staff. Dooley, the butter, who had arrived earlier by a day, cleared his throat, and said, "My lady, may I introduce you to Mrs. North? She is the housekeeper of Stratfield Saye House?"

A woman of late middle age, with a stern look stepped forward and curtsied. "It is a honour to make your acquaintance, Lady Douro. I am Hortensia North."

"The pleasure is all mine, Mrs. North," Lexa replied, sweetly.

Mrs. North nodded and cast a glance of inquisition. Lexa felt her stern expression linger as if she was judging Lexa based off of her appearance. Lexa wondered what kind of impression Charlotte left on the house staff. But that did not matter now, it was she who was the marchioness and she would not allow the shadow of a former lady of the house to overcome  her.

After the brief introduction, Edward led Lexa up the wooden staircase, and showed her the marchioness's quarters which was across from the master's bedchamber.

Lexa frowned and returned to Edward. "I thought we would share a chamber."

Edward grinned wickedly at her, he leaned towards her and whispered in her ear, "Would you care for some ravishing?"

Lexa's face turned deep red as she blushed as she teasingly pushed him away, "You tease."

Edward smiled,"Shall we get on then?" I have much to show you of the family estate."

"Why yes," said Lexa, "I would very much like that."

And so, it was that she would depart London for the country. How excited she was for this journey.