Chapter Sixteen, Part Two

Later that afternoon, Lexa told Miss Lyons that she would like to go to the Royal Opera House. It was a shame that poor Caroline was too unwell to go with her. She did not know whether Julie was even in London. However, she did hope that she would bump into someone.

The theatre of the opera house was filled. There were many that were intrigued by today's programme. Sitting in her box, Lexa looked below at the stage where the actors made their appearance on the stage. Miss Lyons sat beside her.

At expected, the first actor on stage was the exclusive Giulia Verona. As usual, her performance was outstanding. As was her singing voice. Her melodic voice rang through the room, enchanting the audience with her song.

Miss Lyons was wiping her tears with her handkerchief. Lexa glances at her and was pleased to see that she was so moved.

"Laura, my love,"  the actor said, "I cannot bear it no longer. My heart sings only for you. Come away with me."

"Oh, Edmund," Giulia cried, dramatically, "if only I could do so. But we mustn't. Our love is forbidden."

***

"What a lovely performance, my lady," Miss Lyons gushed. She wiped a tear with her handkerchief.

"It was," agreed Lexa.

The two of them where walking back to the manor when Lexa smiled.

"Miss Verona is at her best when on the stage," Lexa said in response to Miss Lyons's enthusiasm.

"Where to now?" Miss Lyons asked, "Is there anywhere you wish to go to, my lady?"

"I'd like to head to  St. James Park near the palace." Lexa told Miss Lyons. "Though I would to return home to get a novel to read."

As so, without question the two ladies journeyed home where Lexa made a quick stop to the library. In there, she scanned the bookshelves, deciding on which novel to bring when she settled on Edgar Allan Poe's short story collection.

The day was warm when they got Hyde Park.  The park was littered with  people hanging about with their own affairs. Because of course, who would not enjoy the ever beautiful park near the queen's palace?

Miss Lyons packed a few snacks for their picnic while she gave a couple more novels from the library to read. Miss Lyons found them a nice spot under a tree before unfolding and laying down the blanket. After the sat down, and opened the first few pages to Poe's story, The Mystery of Marie Roget.

It was odd that Lexa was having an inkling for mystery novels. Perhaps, it was because of how complicated her new family's history was. and of how oddly she was intrigued by it.

Just as she thought about it, from the corner of her eye, she noticed someone familiar walking.

Lexa rubbed her eyes, uncertain if who she saw was a Miss Phoebe Abernathy. After all, she had heard Miss Abernathy had departed London via Kent to the United States. She couldn't still be in London. Could she?

"My lady?"

Lexa collected herself from her wool gathering and turned to see her concerned ladies-maid staring at her.

"I'm terribly sorry, Miss Lyons," Lexa said. "It seems that I would like to return home."

"Are you sure, my lady?" Miss Lyons asked I'm alarmed concern.

Lexa reassured her maid and the two of them made their journeys home.

When Lexa returned to the manor, something was oddly off. It was as if the mood darkened and Lexa wondered why the matter was.

The housekeeper, Mrs. Willis greeted her kindly but Lexa notes a hint of anxiety in her voice.

"His Grace has return afoul and I don't can't fathom the reason why so," Mrs. Willis confessed when Lexa inquired.

And so, Lexa declares that she would like to see His Grace, which made the poor Mrs. Willis even more light with anxiety.

"Perhaps not, my lady," said Mrs. Willis.

"Perhaps so," Lexa said.

And on she marched where the tearful housekeeper told her that the duke was in his study.

It was odd. While she and the duke were cordial towards each other, they often didn't come across each other. His Grace was far too busy person with Parliament.  

As she approached the donor to His Grace's study, anxiety caught her. Taking a deep breath, Lexa raised her hand and knocked the door.

Edward was glad for the scenery St. James's Park offered. The weather was also pleasant for the month. The crowd in London, where the yon always mingled about was becomes more scarce. Many have decided to retreat to their countryside estate. As was the case with Harry.

And so, alone he was strolling down the streets of London, the flicker of gaslight lamps shadowing his moments when he came across Miss Phoebe Abernathy.

For a moment, their eyes met, and Lexa's voice echoed in the back of his mind, She looks awfully like you.

For a time, Edward had brushed the thought of how oddly similar he and Miss Abernathy resembled each other.

"Miss Abernathy," Edward said, acknowledging her.

Miss Abernathy smiled and said, kindly, "A pleasure to see you, Lord Douro."

Edward was surprised by her appearance. The last he heard was that she had departed with her family back to the United States via the steamship in Kent. So what was she doing here?"

"I'm surprised to see you here," Edward said.

"Well, things got complicated," Miss Abernathy mused quietly.

There was an odd tension in her voice. Edward wondered what the matter was. But before he could ask her, something caught his eye and for the third time, his mother, Charlotte Abernathy was standing there with an odd smirk on her face.

Miss Abernathy's face was ashen. It almost looked as if she had seen a ghost. Her eyes weren't cold, but had fear in them.

Charlotte looked, eerily calm at the two of them, and then said, "Phoebe. Edward."

Edward was speechless for a moment, unable to say anything. All that he could think of was: what in bloody hell is going on?

It was a moment, Edward didn't realize that this encounter with the three of them would change the course of his life forever.

As for Lexa, who was sleeping soundly in the marchioness' bedchamber, she was unaware of how things that the pieces in the Wellesley family were slowly starting to come together. Something she was utterly unprepared for....