Chapter Thirteen, Part One

Lexa was exhausted.

As the new Marchioness of Douro, the ball that was  held in her honour ran late until half past midnight when she and Edward thanked their guests and bid them a good night.  Now the manor was empty and silence nearly befell the halls. from where she  lay in her bedchamber , she could hear the occasional foot falls of the servants scurrying around not to disturb the people of upstairs.the door opened and Selena Lyons entered. She had been recently promoted to a ladies-maid.

Miss Lyons curtsied.

Lexa smiled, "Do come in, Miss Lyons."

Miss Lyons entered and said, "I'm here to help you prepare for bedtime, my lady."

Lexa nodded and Miss Lyons went straight to work helping Lexa in and out of ball gown.

After Miss Lyons helped her into her nightgown Lexa wanted led to her bedchamber. The candle lit on her dress drawer beside her bed flickered it's light and as Lexa got on to her bed , she bent forward and blew its light out.

Edward and his father where in the breakfast room when Lexa joined them. They looked up when they noticed Lexa and His Grace acknowledged her with a smile. "I see that you are afresh from last night, Lady Douro."

"I am feel very much better, Your Grace," Lexa replied.

She looked at Edward and said, "Good morning, my dear."

Edward smiled slightly at his wife and said, "Good morning, Lady Douro."

Lexa felt her cheeks warm. Lady Douro. The way Edward said her new title sounded almost romantic. smiling to herself. Lexa picked up her teacup and poured herself a hot cup of chocolate.

After that delightful breakfast which the Chef prepared, Lexa decided that she would make a call on her cousin, Julie. standing up from her seat, she turned to her husband and father-in-law and informed them. "I would like to make a call on Miss Kingsley. Would you care to accompany me, Edward?"

For the second time, Edward looked up from his newspaper and said, looking at his lady wife. "Miss Kingsley?"

"Yes," replied Lexa, "Their London townhouse is not far from us."

Edward thought for a moment and then decided hat perhaps it would be best for the two of them to get out and reintroduce themselves. he too rose from his spot and after bidding his father a good day, Edward followed Lexa out.

****

After Lexa was dressed for the outdoors, she and Edward exited Drumbroke and made way towards the Wellington coach. After a few blocks and a reasonable distance, the coach stopped in front of the Ashdale townhouse. Edward got out of the coach first, followed by Lexa, whom Edward.

When the coach rolled away, Lexa and Edward made their way up the steps of the townhouse and knocked the door. Immediately, the door clicked open and the Ashdale butler appeared.

"May I help you?" the butler asked.

"Is Miss Kingsley home?" Lexa asked.

"And to whom wishes to call on Miss Kingsley?" inquired the butler.

"The Marquess and Marchioness of Douro," Edward replied.

The butler paused and said, "Please come inside."

He moved aside and allow access for Lexa and Edward to enter. They did and followed the butler. The butler made his way towards the Ashdale drawing room and stopped.

"The Marquess and Marchioness of Douro are here to see you, Miss Kingsley."

The butler moved away and Lexa and Edward entered and there sitting in the drawing room close to each other was Julie, her sister, Rosemarie and her mother, Viscountess Ashdale.