Chapter Eleven, Part Two

Edward could not understand the sudden change of his wife's moods. It was becoming frustrating that he was not enjoying his honeymoon as he hoped he would. Walking down the corridors of his Scottish estate, he inquired to the passing servant as to where his wife was and made it to the library where he was told she was there.

Lexa was reading when he entered the grand library. Sitting on one of the lofty chairs, wearing her round glasses perched on her nose; she seemed to be at ease with reading, so much that she was oblivious to his presence. He cleared his throat, and Lexa paused and looked up to see him. Edward crossed his arms over his chest and said, "I hope I wasn't disturbing your reading."

"Yes," said Lexa and she went back to reading her book, "In fact you were."

"Apologizes," Edward replied as he unfurled his arms and went towards her. Once he sat beside her, he picked the book from her hands and closed the book and set down. Lexa dropped her hands and looked at him, though her spectacles, "I hope you have a reason for doing that."

"We need to speak," Edward replied as he turned to her. Lexa turned towards him, and as they looked at each other face to face. "What is it then?"

"Why did you suddenly burst away from the church and straight home?" he asked.

Lexa looked him. As she looked directly at him, his dark brown hair and dark hazel eyes, she pictured Phoebe. Pursuing her lips, Lexa felt unsure of what to say. In fact, what was she to say? I think Phoebe Abernathy is somehow related to you? No. I think you are keeping secrets from me? Even worse!

Lexa cleared her throat. The mystery behind Phoebe and Edward would soon be solved. In the meantime...

"Who's Charlotte Llewellyn?" she blurted,

Edward immediately stiffen, and narrowed his eyes, "What?"

Lexa felt nervousness enter her. The way his eyes darkened like that was frightening. But Lexa would not cower. "I asked 'who's Charlotte Llewellyn?' "

"I don't know," Edward immediately.

Lexa glared at him. Liar, she thought when she didn't voice out the word. "You're not telling me the truth, Edward."

"What do you know of the truth? How did you come up with this nonsense anyway?"

"It's not nonsense! I went to the church and an old and mad priest came to me and called me Charlotte! Asking me how could I do this to my child? To you?"

She took a deep breath and looked at him, Edward pursed his lips, his eye unreadable. "Why are you keeping secrets, Edward?"

Edward gently removed her hands clutched to the sleeves of his shirt, something she was unaware of. He stood up, and started to walk away. But before he left, he turned to her, and said, "One day you know. Not until then."

"Do you not trust me?"

"Trust has nothing to do with it," was his reply.

"I'm your wife," Lexa calmly reminded him, "That, in itself, is something."

Edward did not reply and left the room.

The rest of the week in Scotland was miserable. By the time they returned to London, it was the twenty-seventh of June, and their mood were reflected by the damp and raining day. It was also Lexa realized that her life in Drumbroke Manor had begun.

When Lexa stepped down from the Wellington carriage, she clutched her coat and felt drenched as the rain poured on her. Edward followed her inside. Lexa shivered as she was led to the marchioness' bedchamber. Elise, the maid helped her unpack and left her in her room while they wet to look for a ladies-maid. A ladies-maid unfortunately had not been appointed for her. But she hoped that Miss Lyons would be accepted the job.

So this was the marchioness' bedchamber. It was a grand room, decorated in the brightest of red and glistening in gold. It was quite regal. Not that it bothered her. She wasn't keen on having children yet. Lexa firmly believed that a foundation needed to be established between them.

Lexa also felt a pang, an urge really, to go and apologize to Edward. She knew that it wasn't her place to nose into his personal affairs, but there was something that was bugging her. And how could she forget how she saw Phoebe name is the church register? Lexa pursed her lips as turned around and she walked out of the marchioness' bedchamber.