Chapter Five Part Three

The next morning on the docks of Boston Harbour, the Washington steamship waited to set sail. Edward followed his aunt and cousin from amongst the crush of the crowd and reached the steps of the ship. Edward picked up Laura's suitcases and turned to her. She wore her best dress and had her traveling coat on. Her dark hair was bun into a braid and her hazel eyes sparkled at him.

She lifted her skirts, and made her way towards the ship. Edward followed, but then accidently bumped to a lady and caused to fall. 

"Dear lady," he said, as he helped her up, "I apologize. I did not see you.

The lady turned her head and Edward found himself looking at steel gray eyes, and he held his breath, "Lexa?"

She smiled at him, "I'm am not Lexa, Lord Douro."

Edward helped to her up to her feet, and still holding her hands, he wondered. She looked like Lexa. She had the same golden-blonde hair, braided elaborately into a bun, skin pale and ivory, her eyes, as he mentioned were gray, and she wore a dark red dress with black lace embodied on it.

"Who are you then?" he asked, "and how do you know me?"

"My sister, Araminta told me of her engagement to you."

"Sister," Edward said, then his eyes lit in recognition. "Then you must be..." he trailed.

She nodded, "I am Lady Asteria Seraphina Celine Herbert."

Edward looked at her. Asteria Herbert. Of course, Lexa had mentioned that one of her sisters was studying in America, and he could well see the resemblance.

"You look a lot like your sister."

"You are not the first to say that I'll tell you," Asteria said, "So I cannot fault your mistake."

"Are you returning home then, Lady Asteria?"

"Of course," said Asteria, "I have not seen my family since last term, and now I go to England for good."

"Lexa will be happy to see you," he said.

Asteria smiled, "It's about time I saw my big sister. I miss her terribly. Even Araminta. And Lucian."

He then heard his father calling him, and Edward turned to see Laura waving at him.

Turning to Asteria, Edward murmured, "I believe I'll be joining my family now, Lady Asteria."

  Asteria frowned at him, and said, "You mustn't call me 'Lady Asteria' when you are soon to be my brother-in-law. Calling me Asteria will suffice."

Edward nodded and said, "Very well then, Asteria. I better be off then."

She nodded and Edward turned his feet and walked towards the crush of crowd and mingled his way towards his father and cousins. Once, he reached them, Aunt Hestia embraced him and kissed him affectionately. Madeleine followed suit and as they made their way on board, he saw Madeleine wave her bonnet in the air with a smile on her face. The steamship moved into the waters of the Atlantic and soon the crowd disappeared further and further until out of sight.

Lexa stepped off the ship. In the dreary gray weather of England, she was rather glad that she was finally home. Well, not home exactly as they were in Kent, and had hours ahead to drive to Wilton, but she was home in England. Lexa reminisced the moments when her father told her that they would be heading back to England.

"I have an urgent matter to return home," Pembroke had told her mother, one late afternoon. The Olessen household was for once quiet, and the Herbert family were in the drawing room talking. Lady Pembroke looked at him, and said, "Has Lucian written to you?"

Pembroke had nodded, and replied, "Yes. Lucian has written to me that Whitehall is in dire need of assistance." He scowled, "Remind me again that I need to have a word with our son."

"Now, now," said Lady Pembroke, "Lucian is growing into a man. You must allow him some liberties in life."

"Too much liberties will only lead to scandal," Pembroke said

"I wouldn't be the one talking about scandal, dear Papa," Lexa said, "Especially when you were the biggest scandal in the sixties. Do you recall the London Times' headline? ' The Earl Takes A Foreigner For A Wife'."

There was silence after that.

Now Lexa smiled to herself at the end of that flashback. The carriage rolled to a stop and she followed her mother and sister and entered the carriage.  Her father followed behind, the carriage rolled away, away from the Gravesend dock and towards Wiltshire.

"Do you think Asteria will becoming home?" asked Amara.

Lexa paused and thought for a while. Yes, she hoped Asteria would come home. She missed her.

"I by not doubt she will," said Lexa, "Her term must be over by now."

The ride home was to be a silent one as no one had nothing to say.

Lucian heard the carriage pull up and he cursed. they were home, and now he would have to face his father. He had the reports from the tenants telling him about the distressful state of the Hampshire estate. He filed the papers and lay them on his father's sturdy oak desk. he rose up from the chair and made his way towards the door and exited the room closing the door behind him.

He heard Mrs. Lloyd greet his father and Lucian climbed down the stairwell and glanced up at his family. His father was the first to noticed him, and he made his way towards him.

"Lucian," said Pembroke, "I'm glad to see you."

"Good to see you again,"replied Lucian, and he watched his father as he made his way towards the stairwell. Not looking back, Pembroke said, "Come. We need to have a discuss."

Lucian scowled but obeyed. he turned around the bottom of the stairwell and climbed up the stairs, and returned to his father's study. Pembroke walked around the desk and sat on the lofty chair, Lucian entered the room, and his father began, "Sit, Lucian. We have a matter to discuss concerning your future...."

Lucian closed the sturdy door and faced his father, to an imperiling doom.