Chapter Two

NOTE: I have changed many things in this chapter. Chastity has been renamed to Caroline. Lord Holbrooke is now Lord Morington, and Edward Hemming is now Edward Wellesley. I'll re-edit Chapter 1 to prevent confusion, hope you like this chapter!

2ND NOTE: I have been editing, and have changed Edward's title again, instead of the Earl of Morington, he is the Marquess of Douro, following the correct order of subisary titles of the real Dukes of Wellingtons. :P

"Alexandra Marguerite Rose Herbert! Where the bloody hell have you been?" said Caroline Crawforde, Countess of Hereford marching inside Lexa's room. Startled, Lexa whirled around from packing, and locked her eyes on a very furious Caroline Crawforde. Lexa tilted her head and smiled amusedly. Caroline was not the kind of person to get angry. It didn't fit her really. Caroline was a small, short, curving chit with auburn hair and jade green eyes. She was wearing a lime coloured dress, and her lace gloved hands were placed on her hips. Pursing her lips, Caroline shook her head and said, "I asked you to come visit me in London if you were ever to go there, and you made no reply. No letter! No announcement! I had to learn you were at Matilda's engagement from Lord Douro and that you were to stay at your London home for a fortnight. And here I thought I was your best friend."

"Oh Caro, you are," Lexa said coming over and hugging her. "I'm very sorry that you felt that way. My mind was occupied with my engagement that I completely forgot. Do forgive me."

"Oh, all right," replied Caroline, breaking the hug and going over to sit on Lexa's bed. "Tell me. When is your wedding?"

"Before that," Lexa said, "How did you get here?"

"I had Richard arrange me a carriage and when I got here, I demanded myself inside to have a word with you. Mr. Davis, your butler was kind enough to escort me inside."

"How is His Lordship doing these days?"

"Very busy I must say. He has been held up at Parliament for legislation of the Criminal Amendment Act. He says it's to benefits ladies and minors and that it was a repeal of the Offends Against the Persons Act that was introduced ten years ago."

"Will it come into effect?" Lexa asked

"In August," Caroline replied, "Now, enough about the parliamentary reports, tell me about your wedding."

Oh dear...her mind murmured as she felt her cheeks go warm. "I'm not-we're not planning it yet," replied Lexa, sitting beside Caroline, "I want to get to know Edward first."

"Goodness! Have you two starting calling each other by your Christian names?"

"Yes," replied Lexa.

"I sense a happy marriage in the cards," Caroline forewarned.

"I hope," said Lexa blushing. Then frowning she said, "You're not seeing Mademoiselle Augustine are you?"

"She read the cards and told me that I was to be a happy, plum mother to future sons," Caroline said, happily. "Clearly one must always be prepared."

"Dear me, have you no faith in God's providence?"

"I do," Caroline said, then lowered her voice and asked, "Are you to see him?" Caroline asked.

"Yes, he insisted on touring me around London. Papa is to accompany us."

"That's good," replied Caroline, "Touring the city is beneficial. 'Side the fact you are to be living in his house of Drumbroke."

"Drumbroke?" Lexa asked

"His London house. 'Course, he has estates in other parts of England such as Hampshire, Scotland, Wales, and even Wiltshire."