Chapter Sixteen, Part One

Edward couldn't believe his ears. Just what on earth was this devil woman spouting? His mind relaid what his mother had said: I've been to New York to see my daughter

Daughter. That word meant that he had a sister somewhere. That he was not an only child.  A half sister perhaps, even?

No, no, no,no! He couldn't believe her. She must be deceiving him. He didn't trust her word even though Lexa might. 

And of course, Lexa would. She doesn't know the true extent of his mother's history. How she betrayed both he and his father. How she abandoned him in Wales with two words: I'm sorry.

Lexa didn't know the extent in which his mother caused his father immense pain. A pain that even after his parents divorced in scandal haunted the two of them til this day.

Edward exhaled. He needed to think carefully about what he would say to his mother. He couldn't be riddled with silly emotions.

"You seemed to have overstayed your welcome, Mrs. Abernathy," he said, calmly.

He would not react in anger towards her. Not in front of his wife.

Charlotte smiled, looking pleased with herself. She then stood up and bowed respectful to Lexa. "Lady Douro, I do hope to see you again."

Lexa merely nodded. She would not say anything. She couldn't say anything. Not with everything that unfold before her. And Edward. She glanced up at her husband. His eyes are unreadable and narrowed. He walked and escorted his mother out of the library and as Lexa watched him, she wondered what he could possibly be thinking of.

It must have been a shock to him. To hear that all of a sudden that he had a sister, a half sister even. Lexa was now curious more than ever. She wondered who this mysterious sister was.

Of course, being Lexa, she had her suspicions on Phoebe Abernathy for a while. After all, Phoebe's resemblance to Edward was uncanny. However there was no way to be sure.

Shortly after awhile, Edward returned his expression grim.

Lexa rose from her spot, and cautiously came towards him. She feared that he was no in the mood for petty conversation.

Silence reigned as the air in the room, thicken with tension. It was almost stifling.

Then Edward exhaled and looked at her, his dark hazel eyes boring into her grey ones.

"I don't think I can believe her," he finally said. "About having a sister, I mean."

"But do you think it's true?" Lexa inquired.

Edward's shoulders slumped, "I don't think so. I've long lost any form of trust toward my mother."

"What of your father?" Lexa asked. His Grace was currently out in the city.

at the mention of his father, Edward did wonder. What would his father say? After all, he was the one who was betrayed by his mother. It was not surprising if this was the outcome of his mother's treachery. He just hoped that the poor girl who was his supposed sister lived separately from his mother. Or else, she would be living a world of pain.

"I'm not sure if my father is aware of this," Edward said to Lexa. "However, if he is. He has not mentioned to me.

"Your family is far complicated then I thought," Lexa mused. Her eyes were oddly sparkly. "Now we need to uncover who this mysterious sister is."

"I believe that doing that would me meddlesome," Edward said eying wife.

"Why ever not?" Lexa asked him.