Chapter Twenty ~ END

Lexa could not believe that today was her birthday. The weather was getting warmer as the end of June. Soon summer would be upon them, and Lexa looked forward to getting out and exploring the town in which the estate was situated in.

But enough of that, Lexa was now twenty two years of age. It was remarkable of how things have happened in the last three months since her marriage. So many things were bound to change as the years went on as well. What ever the future held, she would welcome each day with open arms.

Lexa was sitting outside in the gardens. It was one of the most enjoyable things she came to appreciate living in the estate. The Hampshire retreat was a calming escape from city life in London. It has reminded her much of Wilton. Returning back to Hampshire would be welcoming in the future. She could imagine herself watch big her children play in the lush green hills of the estate.

Taking a sip of her tea, Lexa sighed a breath of relief, when she heard someone approaching. Turning around, Lexa smiled as Edward made his way towards her.

"I thought I might find you here, my dear," He said as he kissed her affectionately her on the cheek.

"Did Miss Lyons inform you?" Lexa asjed him as he sat in the chair in front of her.

"Yes," he mused. "You seem to be enjoying the outdoor gardens."

"Why of course," Lexa said, "I could help but admire the roses."

The garden was beautiful. The roses were in full bloom. How the gardeners kept the gardens perfectly manicured, she'll never know. Everything was perfectly aligned and designed as if to resemble a French chateau.

"I'm glad that you enjoy the roses," Edward said.

"It is my favourite flower," Lexa reminded him.

"My grandmother loved roses too," Edward said, fondly remembering the former duchess.

"Her Grace must have enjoyed the gardens," Lexa replied. "I would have loved to have met her."

"She would have adored you," Edward said, "she wasn't fond of..." he trailed.

Kefauver knew who he was talking of. Since their arrival in Hampshire, Edward had become more open to her about his mother. Lexa knew how difficult the situation with his mother was, but she couldn't comprehend the extent of the damages that Charlotte had caused to so much people. Did she not have a heart?

Lexa had wondered that question over and over in her head. She knew that she would never find the answer, nor would she understand Charlotte. But that no longer mattered anymore. Even though it was complicated, only with time will this ever get resolved.

"Let us not reminisce the bad things," Lexa said cheery, "today is a wonderful day."

"Ah, yes," Edward agreed, "today you are two and twenty. Happy birthday my dear."

Lexa flushed, astonished that he even knew, "You know?"

Edward looked at her, "You told me when we were courting."

Had she? Lexa couldn't remember that, but she smiled and nodded

"Of course," she said.

Edward called for a servant and instructed them to bring out a freshly baked sponge cake. Lexa smiled coyly as a Victoria sponge cake was brought to her.
The cake that was layered to strawberry and cream got her excited the way she got when it was Christmas.

After a slice was cut, Lexa took a bite of the cake. There was nothing more delicious than the flavours of sweet strawberries and creams that burst in her mouth. The burst of flavour was delicious.

Edward smiled at his wife, happy that she was enjoying the dessert. He was going to enjoy spoiling her every moment of everyday.

Despite the complicated family that he grew up in, he made the resolution that he would not look back to the past and only look ahead to the future, whatever said future held.

After their had their dessert, they took a strolled in the rose garden. Their fingers interlaced together, they were enjoying a nice walk.

Looking at his wife, Edward could not help but admire his wife's beauty and leaned down to whisper on her ear, "Have I told you that you look ravishing today?"

A warm blush tinted her cheek and Lexa laughed softly, "Why thank you, my dear. I do say that you look rather handsome today as well."

Leaning in towards, Edward softly brushed his lips against hers and kissed her. Lexa's eyes widened in surprise but she returned the kiss with  equal passion.His kiss was sweet and warm and there was nothing more romantic and then kissing your husband in a beautiful rose garden under a flower arch.

After a lengthy kiss, they broke apart and Lexa smiled, feeling ever more shy. With his arms around her waist, Edward smiled at his wife. "Shall we head back?"

"Of course," Lexa said.

They turned around and walked, hand in hand out of the garden and followed the path up towards the beautiful stately house that was there home.

After they entered the estate, Lexa made her way towards her bedchamber that she maid changed into  her indoor attire. It was almost dinner time and they were to eat with the Duke.

As the food was being laid out for dinner, Lexa noticed that the Duke was rather in a jovial mood. Lexa was pleased to see that. Charlotte had put a strain on this family m, her family.

After dinner, Lexa strolled down the corridors and stopped  in front of a portrait of a painting of Charlotte. It was similar to the painting that she had seen in Drumbroke Manor and it had invoked the feelings in her.

"She looks young, no?" A voice asked.

Lexa turned to the see Edward walked towards her. He stopped beside her and wrapped an arm around her waist.

"She does," Lexa agreed,

"The past does hold power here," Edward mused.

Lexa looked at her husband and said, "So the the future."

Edward agreed in silence and Lexa imagined that future. One of laughter and joy. One with children running in the halls, children that resembled the both of them with smiles on their faces and light in their eyes.

For a better and brighter future awaited for them. Lexa May  have been  his sudden bride, but she was his for eternity.

Looking at Edward, she spoke, "I love you."

Startled, Edward looked at her, his heart beating by those words. Leaning towards her, lips brushing against  each other, he responded, " I love you too."

And then he kissed her.