Chapter Fifteen, Part Two

The next morning, Lexa sat with Edward for breakfast. His Grace has gone out earlier to meet with the Lords in Parliament. As she sipped her tea, she wondered what new bill they would be passing. She had been pleased when the Criminals Amendment Act was legislated into a bill.

"Would you like some more tea?" asked the kitchen maid. Lexa nodded and the maid poured her a hot cup of Earl Grey tea. Immediately after, the maid went back to work leaving Lexa alone to her thoughts.

After breakfast, Lexa made her way to the library. The library had become her haven ever since her marriage and Lexa enjoyed the many books from the duke's literary collection.

Lexa scoured the bookshelves looking for something to read when the butler entered holding calling card  and informed her that she had a visitor calling on her.

Lexa pauses her search and turned to the butler, "Who is calling?" she asked

"Mrs. Abernathy," read Dooley.

Lexa wondered excitedly. Was it Phoebe paying her one last visit? She dear hoped so. In her heart, she wished to speak to her friend before she departed the Trans-Atlantic.

But deep in her heart she had a feeling she knew who it was. Her mother's warning ringing in her head. Pas på ulven i forklædning. Beware of the wolf in disguise.

Taking  a deep breath, Lexa turned to Dooley and said, "Please send her in."

It took a few minute before the doors of the library opened. Charlotte was escorted inside. Lexa looked up and stood. Charlotte looked beautiful and graceful as ever.

"Lady Douro," said Charlotte, "it's a pleasure to see you again."

"Charlotte," Lexa replied, "A pleasure to see you as well. Is there a reason for calling?"

"Come now. May I not get to know my new daughter?"

"I have a mother, madam," Lexa said with finality.

Charlotte smiled. "May I sit? I do wish to chat with you. Would you be kind to ring for tea?"

Lexa pursed her lips and turned to Dooley who was still standing by the doorway.

"Please bring our guest some tea," Lexa told him.

Dooley bowed his head and departed. Charlotte came over and sat on the sofa beside Lexa. After sitting down herself, Lexa cleared her throat and spoke, "I didn't think you would be here, Charlotte."

"And why is that, my lady?" Charlotte asked.

"The summer months are far approaching. People spend it in the country." Lexa said.

"It is a fine time to go the countryside. Do you wish to go as well, Lady Douro?" Charlotte inquired of of her.

"If Edward insists that we go," Lexa replied.

"How is my dear son," Charlotte asked of her.

Lexa pursed her lips, it was oddly strange that Edward harboured a strong dislike for his mother. Just what did she do to garner such hatred?

Lexa paused, then spoke, "If you wish to know how your son is doing, you ought to see him."

Charlotte's lips downturned and her tone became angry. "That boy is too much like his sister. Too begrudging in seeing me."

The maids came in as they spoke, quietly as they placed the tea set between them, careful not break the delicate china.

"I'm sure if you spoke to him—," Lexa began. She stopped when she realize Charlotte's earlier statement. His sister, Lexa thought in shock, she said his sister. Does he have a sister?