Chapter Thirteen, Part Two

Her blue cold eyes lingered on him as Edward felt the tension hang heavy in the air. He pursed his lips as he watched his mother stand in front of him.

Mother was the first thing he said when he saw her and there was no mistaking that what Lexa must have feeling is shock. After all, he did tell her that his mother was dead.

Dread filled him when Charlotte came towards him. So much that he was unaware of the fact that he was clutching Lexa's hand too tight until he heard a whimpering sound of pain.

He felt stuck and unsure of what to do next. It was almost as if he was at an impasse. He released Lexa's hand and turned to her. "We best be off now."

Lexa said nothing but nodded. Edward decided that her shock had not worn off.

The silence followed them as they rode in the carriage on their way home. Lexa glanced out the window, watching pedestrians passing by. There was nothing she or Edward could say  about the incident  at Trafalgar Square.

Even though she was in shock, Lexa could not believe that the woman who approached them was Edward's mother.

Looking at her, Lexa noticed how much Edward's mother resembled the portrait of the marchioness. Lexa paused in her thoughts. Was she now the Duchess of Wellington?

The carriage stopped and the door opened as Lexa was assisted down the steps. Edward followed her into the manor.

Lexa was overwhelmed by the silence passing between her and husband. She mustered the courage to call out his name.

"Edward."

But her woes fell on deaf ears as Edward did not respond to her call. Instead he greeted the butler and then walked away.

Lexa was dumbfounded with the entire situation that she sighed to herself not expecting to find the duke coming down the hall.

The Duke of Wellington smiled at her as he offered his arm. Lexa smiled shyly at her  father-in-law and took his offered arm. Together they made their way towards the library when His Grace spoke.

"Did you enjoy your visit, Lady Douro?"

Lexa smiled at the duke and said, "l did indeed, Your Grace."

"I'm please to hear that," replied His Grace. As they walked towards the library, His Grace turned to Lexa and questioned wondering, "My son seems to be in a mood. Has something happened?"

Lexa pauses. What was she to say? The idea of mentioning Edward's mother was shocking enough but Lexa was worried how the duke would take the news.

They entered the library when Lexa turned to His Grace and said, "Edward is upset because he ran into his mother."

The duke froze and Lexa wondered what happened. The warmth that was in the duke's face drains and was replaced with coldness. Something about Edward's mother seemed to turn people off and Lexa seriously wondered what happened.

"Your Grace—," Lexa began

His Grace snapped, sharply, "What?"

Startled, Lexa released her hand from His Grace and back away.

Just like Edward, she thought frantically. There is something going on.

And what that something was, Lexa feared that it would explode.

Edward was in his study when he finally calmed his nerves down. The sight of his mother after two months was unnerving. What worse was Lexa's bewildered face purged him with guilt. He didn't want the feeling of guilt to eat him from the inside.