Chapter Seven Part Two

As much as the engagement was a success that filled its way into the scandal sheets, Lexa was torn between eagerness and nervousness. She could not wait to become Edward's wife, and as the month of May rolled away giving into June. The wedding went underway, and Alexa hardly saw Edward, as her mother had her in a busy schedule.
Right now they were on their way to Sally's. Run by the infamous Sally Hawkins, a former courtesan. Sally, a very scandalous woman whose dress shop was situated near Wilton in the small parish village of Bulbridge. Lady Pembroke was horrified by the idea that Lexa should have her wedding gown made by a former courtesan.

"I really don't see why we can't see Miss Thickle," said her ladyship, "she is much more refined in her dressmaking skills."

"Mother," chided Lexa, "Sally's an excellent dressmaker. You even admired my engagement dress."

Lady Pembroke's lips curled in disapproval. "That is where that dress was made?" She humphed, "I can't say that I'm impressed."

"You should be," said Amara, "she does well with her job."

"And you would have her make your wedding gown, Araminta?" Her mother asked. Lexa noted the way she addressed Sally as 'her' was as if she was a lowly creature.

"Yes," said Amara, firmly without hesitation. Lexa smiled at her youngest sister.

"Asteria would have agreed with me," said Lady Pembroke, "had she not gone to see Miss Lowell."

Miss Honorie Lowell who was not only their neighbor, but also Asteria's best girlhood friend was the daughter of Viscount Mayron. While Asteria was in America, Honorie had been updated with what Asteria was doing there. She also found ground with Lexa, as Honorie was also fond of Lexa's interest in natural science. Lexa made a mental note to visit Honorie and tell her of James's newest travel guide.

The carriage suddenly stopped and Lexa's attention snapped as the door was opened and a footman appeared.

"I do hope Sally won't mind our sudden arrival," said Lexa, as the footman help her down, "We are dreadfully late."

"Then perhaps-" began her mother, but Amara cut her off.

"Nonsense," said her youngest sister, "We ought to proceed."

And it was settled quickly. Miss Sarah Hawkins was in fact delighted to see that she had customers. She immediately set Lexa to be measured, and said as she wrapped the measuring tape around Lexa's curved waist, "Ye 'ave a fine waist, m'lady."

She then wrapped the tape and then continued the measurements of Lexa's skirt, chest, arms, and neck. Satisfied with the result, Sally smiled at Lexa and said Lady Pembroke, "I got the measurement write down, m'lady. I will 'ave the dress made 'efore yer daughter's wedding day. I wont to know 'he type of silk needed."

Nodding, Lady Pembroke turned to Lexa, "What color of silk are you preferring to your dress, dear?"

"White silk and lace designs," said Lexa, "As it is the rage these days."

"White's a fine choice," said Sally, "Much ado with 'Er Majesty introducing the 'rend."

"I wouldn't chose white for my wedding," said Amara.

"Dear," said her mother, "You are far to young to talk about marriage."

"Eighteen years isn't young, Mother," said Amara, "But crème ivoire would be a splendid color."