Chapter Seven, Part One

When Edward entered the Wilton ballroom, guests had already arrived to celebrate his engagement ball, his engagement ball. Strange to think that it felt as if it was only yesterday when the London Times announced his engagement to Lexa.

And as it seemed, Lord Pembroke had invited the best of the ton, to witness his daughter's engagement. He could spot Harry and his mother, the dowager Countess of Sandwich. It seemed that his sisters were not there. Caroline was chatting with another woman, a brunette.

            And Lexa wasn't there at all.

As guests talked, drank, and danced to the music played by the orchestra, he remained at the tables. It was then that Harry and his mother decided to join him.

            "Edward," said Lady Sandwich as she approached him

Edward smiled. Maude Montagu, Countess of Sandwich was more a mother to him then his ever was. Taking her hand and blowing a kiss, he said, "You look beautiful as ever, Maude."

            Lady Sandwich flushed and said, "You are too kind, Edward."

            "I speak only truth," he said.

            Lady Sandwich chuckled, and said "Then allow me to congratulate you on your engagement. I am very pleased that you have found a lady to be your wife." Sighing, she added, "If only my Harry would follow your suit and get married instead of bringing home that Italian mistress!"

            Everyone was well aware of Giulia Verona, the beautiful stage actress, acclaimed for playing Rosalind in Shakespeare's As You Like It to perfection. She was also rumoured to be the Prince of Wales's short-tine mistress.

            "Mother, please," groaned Harry, who until now was silent.

            "Don't 'mother' me, Henry. You know well I speak of the truth."

            "I'm far to young to marry, Mother. Marriage isn't my suit for at least a couple of years."

            "But dear, you need to marry," chided Lady Sandwich, "And I have the perfect girl for you. Lady Catherine Marsden."

            Harry was horrified by his mother's choice of candidate. Edward tried not to laugh, but Harry's glare stopped him.

            Lady Catherine Marsden was the eldest daughter of the Marquess of Rothsmore.  She had a terrible infatuation with Harry during his youth. And by terrible, he meant terrible. Lady Catherine, who refused a gentle rejection, declared that her "dear, dear Harry" was the one, went to extreme heights to get him. She later suffered a mental breakdown in which her father placed her in the local asylum.

            But Lady Sandwich refused to believe such nonsense, in her case, due to arguments that Lady Catherine was beautiful, wealthy, and from a good bloodline.

            But beauty was most deceiving. Wealth was the norm, and was her bloodline good if was declared mad?

            Edward shuddered.

            "Her sister, Lady Elizabeth would've been better," said Harry, " if she was not already engaged to Lord Gabriel Archibald."

            "Lord Gabriel Archibald?" Lady Sandwich asked.

            "Second son of the late Duke of Bradford," said Edward, "I believe eve he had been held up at his family estate in Yorkshire."

            "Is His Grace here?"