Chapter Eight, Part Two

At last, Lexa thought. She was proudly holding the first copy of James's newest travel guide. After the dance, and before he left the Abernathy Hotel, James had slipped his hand into his coat and pulled out a fresh bound book. As he winked at her and handed the book to her, Lexa had gushed and kissed him fondly on the cheek. Once James had left, Lexa and turned and gushed with joy as she clutched the book, as if it was precious treasure, to her chest when someone else approached her by the refreshment table.

"Lady Alexandra?"

This voice was unfamiliar, so Lexa blinked when she turned to see a handsome blonde smile at her.

"Pardon me," she said, "May I inquire-?"

"Of course," said the blonde man as he respectfully bowed to her. "I am Henry Montagu, Earl of Sandwich."

Lexa relaxed her right hand and raised it for Lord Sandwich to take and kiss it. "A pleasure."

"Douro, told lots about you," said Lord Sandwich, his deep blue eyes sparkling, "And you are more beautiful than he described."

Lexa's cheek warmed pink, as she unconsciously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "Ah...why thank you, my lord."

"And also are indeed blessed to be intelligent," he added, eying the book, he was holding, "New book?"

God Heavens, was Lord Sandwich flirting with her? Lexa never often had men flirting with her. But it was most welcoming.

"Lord James Bourne gave it to me," she said.

"Is he a friend of yours?" inquired Lord Sandwich.

"A very dear friend," said Lexa, sweetly, "We are very close."

Lord Sandwich chuckled and then said, softly to himself, "Poor Edward."

"I must say," said Lexa, realizing as she looked around the grand room, "Is Lord Douro here?"

"Hmm," said Lord Sandwich, as he too surveyed the room. "Ah. I believe he is here indeed by the sculptures. And he is glaring at us."

Lexa looked to see that Edward was indeed wearing a dark expression. "Is he angry?" she asked, worried.

"Not at you, of course," Lord Sandwich replied, causally, "He's glaring at me as I tended to flirt with very girl in the genteel society. Oh, but do forgive me, Lady Alexandra, for you are no exception."

"Are you making him jealous?" Lexa asked.

"I?" Lord Sandwich pointed to himself innocently, "Why of course not. You simply made him jealous just by dancing with Lord James."

Lexa's mouth went agape. Did he really become jealous because of that? But then Lexa realized she had not told Edward much about herself, as did he about himself. His jealousy was her fault. At the same him, it thrilled her, that perhaps, his feelings for her would become more than friendship. So, she hoped.

"I suppose I should apologize," she mused.

"Dearest lady, there is no need to."

"But I ought to go him," she said.

Lord Sandwich did not argue with that. "Shall I led you to him?" he asked, politely.

Lexa shook his head, "No. You will only provoke him. I shall see to him."

Without waiting for Lord Sandwich's reply, Lexa made her way past the guests and towards Edward.