Chapter 41

(USWNT vs Thailand), Maire and the rest of the girls went into the bus. After everyone was inside the bus, they then left the camp's driveway and to the stadium. While arriving at the stadium, the team then did a few practice drills and warm ups, before heading back to the locker rooms to get dressed in their uniforms and hear Coach Jill's pep talk. The team along with Maire then head on the sidelines, in which Maire is then put in as a starter. 

During the first few minutes of the game, Maire scores a goal. Maire later does an assist by helping Mal also score a goal. Waraporn Boonsing, then kicks the ball from across the field, where Kanjana Sungngoen gets it. Maire then steals the ball from Kanjana Sungngoen, and passes it to Ali. While dribbling the ball, Ali then passes the ball to Carli, who takes it. As Carli sees that Natthakarn Chinwong was coming her way. Carli then passes the ball to Mal, who kicks it. 

Waraporn Boonsing, manages to block Mal's goal, however she lets the ball go towards the penalty box area. 

"Dang it." said Mal, as she runs towards the direction of the ball.

"Heads up, Mal!" said Rose, as she kicked the ball to Mal. "Lookout!"

Mal then takes a second shot at it, however with no luck, the ball then hits the goalpost.

"Ugh!" said Mal

Carli then gets the ball and kicks it, before anyone can get it from her. The ball is then kicked out to the penalty box again, this time by Warunee Phetwist. Rose then comes from behind Natthakarn Chinwong, gets the ball, and kicks it towards Maire.

"In coming!" said Maire, as she kicks the ball straight to the goal and scores.

"Yes, finally!" said Rose, as she and the other girls celebrated Maire's goal.

"Thanks for the assist Rose." said Maire

"Sure, anytime." said Rose, as she smiled.

The girls then head back into their positions, waiting for the goalie to kick the ball. A few minutes later Maire then assisted Rose in making a goal. While also helping Carli and Mal, a few minutes later. In the second half of the game, Maire is then subbed out by Tobin, as Mal is subbed out by Christen, and Lynn is subbed out by Alex. A few minutes later, Alex then scores a goal. After Alex scores a goal, Tobin also scores a goal, and Crystal scores a goal. The game ends with the USA defeating Thailand 9 - 3.

The next day, Maire then calls Gael from his cell phone, while he is at work. While talking to Gael, Maire then asks if their mother was alright.

"Umm, well yes and no." said Gael

"What do you mean, by yes and no?" said Maire

"Look Maire, our family have been dealing with social problems from our other family members." said Gael, as he tells Maire. "Thanks to you."

"Me? What do you mean by me? How is this my fault?" said Maire, as she continued. "Wait, and why is our family having social problems?"

"Listen up, genius." said Gael, as he goes on with his rude tone of voice. "The reason why our mother wanted you to agree to play with the USWNT, was because she would finally have a reason to talk about you, since mother would always talk about him and my accomplishments. And I don't know if you notice, but our mother always cuts-off a conversation that's about you. When people would ask about how you are doing in school."

"Wait so..." said Maire, as she pauses and keeps on going. "The reason why she wanted me to make sure to join the team was to just brag about me and rub it on our other family members' faces?"

"Yes." said Gael

Gael, then sighs...

"That, and she is trying to take you out of the team, so that her family members can stop picking on her and make fun of her while you are playing along with the USWNT." said Gael, as he continues. "Our mother sent you a voicemail, and thought that you had already listened to it, thinking that you are mad and upset, because of it."