If It's Yours

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I was laying in my bed with Ava in my lap playing with my phone. She seemed so happy and content here in New Orleans. I mean, she's always been a bubbly baby, but it just seems like she's even more bubbly here. Maybe because she's surrounded by family who showers her in endless attention and affection. In Atlanta, it's just us. I don't know... I just wish I could see my princess this happy all the time.

"Mama..." Ava called out to me.

"Yes Ava?" I looked down at her.

She giggled and blew me a kiss. I pretended to catch it and put it in my pocket. She squealed and began climbing all over me trying to find her kiss. I laughed and tickled her, making her fling herself onto the bed in a fit of laughter.

The door opened and I looked up to see August.

"Mind if I come in?" He asked.

Ava's head popped up at the sound of his voice and when she saw him she grinned.

"Papa!" She held her hands up for him, opening and closing her little fist.

"You can come in." I shrugged and moved over, making room for him on the bed.

He stepped in and closed the door behind himself. Ava and I watched as he took off his shoes and shirt before flopping onto the bed with us.

I smiled, watching Ava crawl over to him and sit on his stomach.

"My papa..." She said before touching his cheek. "My mama..." She reached for my arm and rubbing it.

"And you're our Ava-Jai." I gently poked her nose.

She giggled and nodded before laying her head down on August's chest. I laid back and turned onto my stomach so I could face August and talk to him.

"Don't you miss stuff like this?" I asked. "You know, waking up to us?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "Do you?"

"Mhm." I nodded. "That's why I asked... I miss a lot of things about being together."

"Like what?" He questioned.

"I don't know... Cuddling, making jokes, kissing, and all that kind of stuff. The little things." I shrugged. "I guess you don't see how nice it is to have stuff like that until you don't have it anymore."

"Yeah, you're right." He agreed. "I mean, I always liked the fact that I was the only nigga that you had ever been with. It was like, how do I explain it? Like... You were made for me? Yeah, like God made you just for me. Everything you did was perfect, from the way you would play with my hair when we cuddled to the way you fit around me like a glove when we had sex." He explained. "And I guess it was like, I was Eve and Bahja was that damn apple. I had the perfect life, and I fucked it up when I bit into the apple."

"Well..." I mumbled.

I couldn't really say much. I mean, he was right. I'm not saying that I did nothing wrong, but a lot of the problems we had were problems that we could deal with. Him cheating on me was something I couldn't deal with. It was hard to trust him after that. Hell, it was hard to trust anybody after that.

"I miss you like hell, girl." He chuckled.

"I miss you too, but I don't miss being lied to and hurt." I stated.

He sucked his teeth. "Next subject."

"Uh, no sir." I rolled my eyes. "I sat in that car yesterday and talked with you about stuff that I didn't want to talk about. Now its your turn."