In This Together

AUGUST'S POV

I walked into Nique's hospital room with roses in one hand and balloons in the other. She was finally awake and I wanted to be the first one to see her. She was turned towards the TV, but I could tell that she wasn't really watching. I cleared my throat and she looked towards the door. When her eyes landed on me, she instantly turned away. I frowned and approached her bed.

"What? You're not happy to see me?" I asked her.

"Honestly, I don't want any visitors at all..." She mumbled.

"Why not?" I asked in a confused tone. "There are a lot of people here to check on you."

"Why would I want anybody to see me like this, August?" She asked me while continuing to stare off into the distance. "This is embarrassing... How could I do this to myself?" She added.

I glanced down at her hands that were tightly wrapped in guaze and bandages, covering the cuts and gashes from the glass.

"Hey, don't talk like that, Zo." I stated. "The people here to see could care less about why you're here. All they want is to see you, make sure you're okay, and let you know that they care about you. No one is here to judge you, baby."

"August, please." She scoffed. "Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy..."

"Nobody thinks you're crazy. We all understand what happened."

"Well, I feel crazy." She mumbled. "Only a crazy person would do the things that I did last night."

"You're not crazy. You were just upset. Shit happens." I sympathized.

"I'm still ashamed of myself. Nothing you say to me will make me feel any different about it." She sighed. "I seriously don't want anyone to see me like this, August." She nervously bit down on her bottom lip. "Could you please get them to leave?"

"Zonnique..." I sighed and looked at her with pleading eyes. "Don't be like that."

"August," She started to tear up. "You don't understand how embarrassing this is for me. I'm just not ready to see anyone right now... I'm literally at one of the lowest points in my life right now. It's different for you to be here. You've seen me at my worse before. I-I just can't let people see me like this."

"Alright, alright." I nodded. "I'll go talk to everyone. I'll be right back, just give me a second."

She sniffled and turned to look out of the window. I walked out of the room and made my way to the elevator. As I was going down to the first floor waiting room, I tried to think of something to say to the poeple waiting. I knew they would be disappointed and I honestly didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

I turned the corner to the waiting room and was greeted by the worried faces of all the people who cared deeply for Nique. Bahja, Bre, Adelaide, Constance, Ryan, Que, and Bahja's parents were all here. My mother opted to stay at my home and take care of Ava for us.

"How is she?" Adelaide asked me quickly.

"Will she be okay?" Constance pressed.

"She's fine." I nodded. "She should be able to come home either later today or tomorrow morning." I informed them.

"That's great!" Bre exclaimed. "Can we go see her? How many people can visit at one time?"

"Um," I nervously scratched the back of my neck. "Actually, she's a little upset right now and she says that she's not ready for visitors. She says thank you to everyone who came to check on her and she's sorry that you all won't get to see her and talk to her today, but she truly does appreciate y'all taking the time out of your days to come check on her."