One Step Closer

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I shoved a load of clothes into the washing machine and poured some bleach inside before closing it, setting it, and starting it up. I went to the kitchen and started filling the dishwasher. While I was doing that, the doorbell rang. I sighed and went to the front door. When I opened the door, I was a little shocked.

It was August.

I discreetly rolled my eyes before crossing my arms and looking up at him.

"I've been calling you all night." He said lowly.

"Really? I didn't notice." I said sarcastically. "I guess I was too busy with the guy I'm supposedly cheating on you with."

He jaw clenched. "Look,--"

"No, you look." I stopped him. "I don't want to talk to you and I thought I made that clear by ignoring your calls!"

"I'm trying to apologize." He stated.

"Go ahead, apologize." I shrugged. "That's not going to change how I feel about the situation, but if you feel like it's necessary then be my guest..."

I could tell that I was making him angry, but he was trying to keep his cool.

He let out an irritated sigh. "Aight. I was wrong for what I said yesterday. You were right. I was just paranoid and feeling guilty." He admitted. "But I realize that the things I said were hurtful. You've been nothing but faithful and loyal to me since the day we met. Accusing you of something that we both know you would never do was inconsiderate and stupid of me." He said in a sincere tone.

"Okay, bye." I tried to close the door.

"No!" He stuck his foot in the door. "Zo, come on--"

"August!" I snatched the door back open. "Stop fucking--"

He grabbed me and shoved his lips into mine. I was completely caught off guard. I tried to push him away, but he wouldn't let me go. Eventually, I ended up giving in and kissing back. It's just so hard to resist his soft plump lips.

When he finally broke the kiss, he held my face in his hands and stared into my eyes.

"Why do you always do that?" I huffed.

"Because I don't want to lose you." He slowly stroked my cheeks with his thumbs.

"Tell me what you did." I demanded. "You felt guilty yesterday. So, tell me what you did."

"Baby I--"

"August, tell me." I snapped.

"I didn't do anything." He said in a serious tone. "It was just that Taylor showed up at the studio and gave me some ultrasound pictures. It really fucked with me." He sighed and closed his eyes, forcing himself to keep talking. "Because if I'm the father of her child, I know I'll lose everything. I'll lose my inspiration. I'll lose my motivation. Most importantly, I'll lose you." He admitted. "It's really hard for me to say this, but if I can't say it to you then who else could I say it to?"

"Say what?" I asked in a concerned tone.

"I'm scared." He said shakily. "I've worked so hard to get you back and now here comes something else to rip you away from me again. I hate that it's something I can't control. I hate that I even slept with Taylor. I hate that I cheated in the first place. I hate that I've put you through so much." He rested his forehead against mine. "What would I do without you?"