Lesson Learned

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I stepped out of the shower and began drying my body off. When I was finished, I began putting lotion on. I ran my hand over my belly and let out a sigh. It's still hard to wrap my mind around the fact that there's two babies inside of me. August and I weren't even ready for one baby, let alone two. The thought of having two newborns was scary. Two of everything. Three kids.

Wow.

I pulled the big shirt I planned to sleep in over my head and began pulling my hair up into a loose messy bun. As I was doing that, there was a light knock on the door.

"Come in."

The door opened and August stepped inside. He leaned back against the sink beside me and stared at me in silence for a few seconds. I looked over at him, making eye contact.

"Twins." He mumbled as his eyes dropped down to my bump. "Two babies."

I nodded and let out a long sigh. He pushed himself up from the sink and stepped closer to me, brushing the stray hairs from my face and staring deep into my eyes.

"Are you good?" He asked me in a concerned tone. "You haven't said anything since we found out."

"Yeah." I nodded. "I'm fine. I just... I don't know what to say."

"Well, what you're thinking would be a good start."

"August, I don't even know what to think." I said with a light chuckle. "I mean, there's two babies in here..." I looked down and placed my hands on my bump. "Two."

"Yeah, I know--"

"We didn't even think that we were ready for one, and now we have two." I stressed.

He held my face between his hands. "I agree. We weren't expecting this, but we can adjust and we can handle it. This will make us stronger. It'll bring us closer." He reassured me. "Maybe this is just what we needed."

"You're right." I let out a relieved sigh. "We can do this."

"Exactly. We can and we will." He smiled down at me.

I smiled back and he chuckled before leaning down and softly pecking my lips. As he pulled away, I stood on my tip toes and pulled him back, reconnecting our lips. My fingers lightly tugged at his hair as we kissed...

He slightly pulled away. "Come on. Let's get you in bed."

Before I could say anything else, he was carrying me back to the bedroom. He laid me down on the bed and took a seat at the end of the bed. He took my feet into his hands and began massaging them, catching me off guard.

"What are you--"

"Shhh, just relax." He stopped me.

"But why are you--"

He sighed. "I'm trying to be a good, nice boyfriend. But if you want me to stop--"

"No, no. You're fine. I was just wondering." I assured him. "You can squeeze a little harder though."

"This better?" He asked while squeezing my feet harder.