One Beating Heart

AUGUST'S POV

It's been a few days since Nique and I got into it about her popping pills again... She's been acting really awkward since that day, too. She won't talk to me, but she's swears up and down that she's not mad at me. I'm pretty sure it bothered her a lot more than I'd intended when I asked her about the pills. It's weird being in the same house with someone, but never talking to them. I miss her, even though we were pretty much just arguing constantly. At least, I was able to hear her voice. Right now, she'll only talk to me if I speak first, and she won't have a conversation with me. She's as blunt and to the point as possible.

I walked into the kitchen to see her cutting up watermelon into small slices, probably for Ava. I sat the glass vase with the bouquet of red roses that I'd bought her onto the bar and waited for her to turn around.

"Ava's napping." She mumbled while beginning to put the watermelon into a bowl.

"Well, I wanted to see you." I informed her.

She glanced back at me and her eyes immediately fell to the roses. She raised her eyebrows at me in a questioning way, waiting for me to explain myself. I made my way over to her and gently grabbed her hands, looping my fingers through hers.

"I'm sorry that I accused you of popping pills again... Although my intentions weren't wrong, I see now that it hurt you, and I just want to apologize and push that behind us." I said to her before leaning down to kiss her.

I softly pressed my lips against hers and she hesitantly kissed back. After a few seconds, she let her guard down a little and got more into the kiss. I picked her up and sat her on the counter, standing between her legs. She wrapped her arms around my neck and leaned in, reconnecting our lips. My hands went down to her waist while our lips moved in sync. The feeling of her tongue slipping into my mouth caught me off guard because I was usually the one to do that first. She chuckled at my shocked expression and bit my lip before going back in for a kiss. I pulled my lips away from hers and moved them down to the most sensitive spot on her neck while lifting her off of the counter.

While going up the stairs, light moans left her mouth as I sucked away on the side of her neck, leaving a bright red hickey. We made it up to the bedroom and I softly laid her down on the bed. My hands roamed all over her body while I kissed on the other side of her neck. Now that we were up here, something just didn't feel right. Her body felt more tense and it just felt like she didn't want to do what I thought we were about to do.

I lifted up and looked down at her and by the look on her face, I knew I was right.

"What is it?" I asked in a concerned tone, lightly stroking her cheek with my thumb.

"I don't know, you're the one who stopped." She mumbled and placed a hand on my wrist.

"I stopped because I could tell something was off." I informed her.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure, but I can sense that something isn't right." I stated while gently brushing my thumb over her bottom lip. "You don't seem like you really want it, and if that's the case then you should tell me."

"If I didn't really want it, I wouldn't have let you bring me up here." She said in a slightly sassy tone.

"I'm just saying, you're doing things you normally don't do and your body is all tensed up." I made her sit up. "Usually, you're more submissive and easy going." I stared into her eyes. "You should know by now, I know you enough to know when something isn't right with you."