Before It's Too Late

AUGUST'S POV

I hit the red decline option, ignoring Nique's call again. It's been a week and she's been blowing my phone up nonstop. But I expected that. Especially once she realized that I wasn't going to let her see Ava. I mean, I know it's wrong to keep a mother from her child, but I just don't feel comfortable letting her have Ava now that I know she was popping pills. I will do anything to keep my little girl safe--Even if that means keeping her from her mom. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad about it, but not bad enough to let her have Ava. Christmas is next week and to be safe, I sent Ava to New Orleans early. I'll be flying out the day before Christmas.

Right now, I'm chilling at my house with Chris and Trey. I've honestly been trying to do anything I can to keep my mind of her. But I should've known hanging out with these two wasn't a good idea if I didn't want to talk about it.

"Let's go to the club tonight." I suggested. "I need to find me a fine a groupie to bring home."

Chris shot me a look before focusing back on the game. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Me either." Trey agreed.

"Well then I guess it's a good thing that I'an ask y'all if it was or not, huh?" I said with a slight attitude.

Chris sucked his teeth before pausing the TV. "Look man, you've been avoiding telling us what happened between you and Nique all week." He started. "I'm the first person to say that it's annoying as fuck when people stick their nose in your relationship. But you're gone have to let us know what's up with the two of you before we go out with you, pulling bitches and shit. Because Nique isn't about to have our heads in a bag for helping you cheat."

"It's not cheating if we're not together." I waved him off. "Trust me, she's the last person you need to worry about. That's over with. For good."

Trey sighed. "Just tell us what happened."

"She's pregnant again." I mumbled. "But she didn't know and she was taking Xans. So, the baby might be born disabled or something." I shook my head. "She fucked up. That's what she did."

"Nique and the word Xans don't even sound right in the same sentence." Chris said as he scrunched up his face. "Why was she taking them?"

"Well, she claims that she's been really depressed lately. So, she was taking them to help her sleep because that's the only time that she didn't think about everything that had her upset." I explained. "... Part of me believes her and feels bad for her, but part of me also doesn't believe her and feels like that was her excuse."

"Nah, man you know she wouldn't just pop pills for no reason... Especially not when she knows how you'll react." Trey stated. "She's really going through some shit and she needs you..."

"Don't you think I know that!?" I snapped. "Don't you think that I could look at her and tell that something was wrong!?" I threw my hands up. "Yeah, she was hurting and I knew that, but there was nothing I could do about it! I tried to get her to talk to me and she wouldn't! I tried to be there for her, but she pushed me away!" I ranted. "If you ask me, it's her fault that she's so depressed because she bottles up all her emotions until she can't anymore and then she just crashes!"