Tranquil

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I'm upstairs in Ava's room getting her dressed. She hummed and clicked her tongue while I put on her onesie. Just as I got it over her head, the doorbell rang. I sighed, picked her up, and went downstairs. I opened the door to see August with a pair of shades over his eyes.

"Papa!" Ava grinned, reaching for him.

"Hey mama, you been good?" He asked her while taking her from me.

She nodded and played with his chain.

"Come in, get her out of that cold air." I moved to the side to let him in.

He walked in and I crossed my arms, wondering why he showed up unexpectedly. He looked at me and scanned my attire, staring for a minute or two.
I had on a pair of black compression shorts and a sports bra, which was lounging clothes for me.

I sighed and rolled my eyes while he continued to stare.

I cleared my throat. "My eyes are up here, playboy."

He chuckled and made eye contact with me. "Sorry 'bout that. I got a little sidetracked."

"I noticed." I mumbled. "Anyways, what brings you here?"

"We need to talk." He shrugged.

"About?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Girl, just come over here and sit down so we can talk." He stated while going into the living room and sitting down.

"I'll be there in a second. I'm going to change." I informed him before going upstairs.

I went upstairs and slipped on a black hoodie before rushing back downstairs. When I walked into the living room, August had Ava in his lap and they were watching cartoons. I chuckled at the way she had relaxed back onto her father.

I took a seat on the other couch and let out a sigh, turning to face August.

"Well, what is it?" I asked.

"Halloween is coming up and I want baby girl to experience real trick or treating." He stated. "I thought about the big Halloween party for the celebrities kids, and it's a nice idea. I just don't think it's for me or her. You know she don't like being around a bunch of people she don't know." He chuckled. "She bougie. Somebody reach for her, you know she ain't going. She just mean and bougie. This party isn't something she'll enjoy."

I sighed. "I was thinking the same, but we don't have any other options. I don't trust these people out here. I mean, just the other day I read something about some razors being in some childs candy."

"I'd kill somebody for some shit like that and I'an exaggerating." He said in a serious tone.

"I know you would." I chuckled. "I'd help you do it."

"Exactly." He agreed.

"But anyways, I understand that you want her to experience the type of Halloween we did. How are we going to do that for her though?" I asked him.

"Well... That's another reason I came to talk to you." He held the back of his neck. "My momma hasn't seen Ava in a while, now that they've went back to New Orleans. I know people down there, we can trust them. I know what neighborhood we can go to and everything..." He explained.

"Oh."

I licked my lips and stared at the floor, contemplating on whether or not I wanted my baby to go to New Orleans to go trick or treating.