Drunken Truths

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I watched Ava-Jai play with her toy keys as I talked on the phone with Bre. We were basically discussing what happened with August and I three days ago. I get mad just thinking about it. I'm not mad about the things he said to me. I'm just angry because I feel like him and Bahja have been sneaking around behind my back. I mean, why else would he have been over there? Then on top of that, he lied about where he was going. Or at least, he didn't tell me that''s where he was going.

PHONE CONVO

"I just wish that I knew what they were doing that evening..." I sighed.

"You don't think they...?" She asked me cautiously.

"How could I not?" I replied in a sad tone. "I mean, what else could they have been doing?"

"They could've just been talking--"

"Oh, whatever!" I waved the excuse off. "August would not lie to me about something like that. If he and Bahja were only talking, he would've been sure to let me know. It's obvious that they've been fooling around behind my back..."

"I don't think either of them would do that to you." She disagreed.

"And why not?" I rolled my eyes. "They've done it before. Who's to say they wouldn't do it again."

"Zonnique, August loves you." She stated. "Not only that, but he loves Ava-Jai. He wants nothing but the best for his baby girl. I don't think he would risk losing his family for Bahja."

"I don't know..." I sighed. "He's really upset with me though... We haven't said a word to each other these past 3 days."

"Talking goes both ways, Nique." She stated. "If you want to talk with him about it, you could always apologize first..."

"Apologize for what?" I huffed as I popped Ava's hands away from my phone charger. "I didn't do anything wrong. He knows good and well that I couldn't just leave our daughter to come bail him out of jail. Maybe if his skinny ass was at home instead of sleeping around with someone who was supposed to be my friend, we wouldn't even be in this situation." I quipped. "As far as I'm concerned, this is all his fault."

"Zonnique would you please stop saying that they slept together." She pleaded. "We don't even know if it's true."

"Look... I don't even care anymore." I said quietly. "I'm tired of going through this with him and I'm tired of being hurt. At this point, I just feel like whatever happens, happens."

"Zonnique, don't say that..." She sighed. "You're just upset."

"I'm serious Bre." I ran my fingers through my hair. "I'm tired of crossing the ocean for someone who won't even step over a puddle for me."

"You two just need to sit down and have a heart to heart." She stated.

"No, what I need is to have some fun." I smiled slightly. "I haven't been to a party in forever. Matter of fact, the most exciting thing I've done in the last 13 months is watch my daughter laugh at silly faces."

"Ooh girl." She chuckled. "You need some dick in ya' life or something. 'Cause that just ain't right."

I sucked my teeth. "I'll have you know, August and I have sex frequently." I stated. "But that's a different type of fun and exciting."

"Well... How about this? I'll take you to the club tonight if you promise to talk to August tomorrow." She offered.

"Deal." I smiled.