The Greatest Gift

AUGUST'S POV

I carried the heaviest of Zonnique's bags up to her front door for her to come unlock it. She carried two duffle bags on one arm and used the other free hand to talk on the phone. She had been on the phone with Adelaide ever since the plane landed. They were talking about some of everything. But all that giggling and gossip was getting on my NERVES.

"Are you serious? I can't believe he said that to you!" Zonnique babbled as she approached the front door.

"Yeah, well you ain't gone believe what I'ma say to you if you don't hurry up and open this door." I griped.

She shot me a look before finding her key and unlocking the door. "Yeah. I don't know who he thinks he's talking to... Girl, you think sex is the answer to everything."

"Because it is." I smirked as sat her bags down.

"Keep on butting into my conversation and all your questions will go unanswered." She warned me.

I sucked my teeth. "Babyyy..." I groaned. "Tell Addy you'll call her back. Come play wit' daddy one last time before we go get Ava."

Her cheeks turned red from blushing. "Adelaide, I have to go. August is being an attention whore."

She hung up her phone and slipped it into her back pocket.

"Who you callin' an attention whore?" I raised my eyebrows, pulling her closer to me.

"You." She giggled. "Mr. Jealous..."

"I'm not jealous." I argued.

"I think you are." She playfully teased.

"I'll show you jealous." I smirked, sliding my hand up her shirt.

Just as our lips were about to meet, we heard a loud thud coming from the living room.

"What the hell was that?" She pulled away from me.

"I forgot all about Lydia the Bad Witch being here." I griped.

We walked into the living room and my jaw dropped. It was 4 people, including Lydia, in here sniffing coke! One of 'em was laid out on the floor looking dead!

"I'm calling the police!" Zonnique snapped.

Lydia looked up from her line of cocaine and her eyes widened at the sight of us. This shit was the last fucking straw. Being a bitch to me was one thing. Being a bitch to my girl was something I would never forget. But putting my kid in danger like this was something that I wasn't going to let go or take easy! I mean, how careless could she be!? My baby lives in this house! She plays in this room! What if there was some of this shit left over and Ava got into it!? She's put my family in danger just to get high! What if one of these junkies showed up here again!?

She's pushed my LAST button.

I angrily grabbed her by the throat and slammed her into the wall, causing the other two junkies and Zonnique to panic.

"Acting the way you do towards me, ain't shit. I can take anything you dish out to me. But hurting my girl is what made me not like your ass." I said angrily as I choked her. "Then you wanna do this? Bring an illegal drug into her house?! And drug addicts!? You wanna bring this shit around my daughter?! That's what makes me hate your ass and in my mind I got all the reasons and more to just choke your ass to death right now!" I snapped.

She scratched at my hand, gasping for air. I glared into her bloodshot eyes and her feet began kicking.

"August, that's enough baby! Just let her go!" Zonnique tried to talk me out of it.