No More Us

ZONNIQUE'S POV

I patiently waited for August to come back from dropping Ava-Jai off at his mom's house. I began to think while I waited. The more I thought, the more frustrated I got. All because I have so many mixed emotions. I'm mad that he cheated on me. I'm mad that I forgave him so quick. I'm hurt because I feel like nothing I do is ever good enough for him.

I feel stupid.

Like one of those dumb girls from movies who always take their boyfriend back. The one that everyone complains about because she's so naive. I feel like that's me. In all honesty, I'd probably take August back a million times if I had to.

All because I don't want to end up like her.

I don't want Ava to grow up thinking that I run away from my problems and I just ran away from her father.

Because I'm not running away.

He's pushing me away.

Tears began to slowly roll down my cheeks and just my luck, the front door opens.

I sighed as I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs. I sat up on the bed and wiped my face.

August walked in while trying to take off his shirt. Somehow he managed to get it stuck and he was stumbling all over the place. I got off the bed and walked over to him.

"August, be still." I demanded and tugged on the shirt.

I removed the shirt and tossed it into the dirty clothes hamper.

"Only you." I shook my head.

He frowned and stepped closer to me. "You've been crying. Why? What's wrong?"

I turned away. "I'm fine."

"You don't have to lie to me Zo..." He held my head up. "I know when something's wrong with you. So, what's up ma'?"

We stood in silence for a few seconds while I gathered my thoughts.

"Just say what's on your mind baby. I'm all ears..." He gently rubbed my sides.

"How do you expect me to be okay with being cheated on, August?" I asked in a hurt tone. "I mean, put yourself in my shoes... Would you be okay if I was the one who cheated on you?"

He sighed and picked me up, carrying me over to the bed. He sat on the edge and made me sit on his left leg.

"Baby, I know I hurt you by cheating, but you gotta understand... I'm truly sorry. It was a fucked up thing to do and I'll never do it again. I know every nigga says that when he knows he messed up, but I really mean it. I learned from my mistake and I'm trying to better myself. I know you're probably fed up with me and my bullshit. That's why I just wanna make it up to you." He said to me quietly while slowly rubbing my thighs.

"... Was she better than me?" I asked him. "And you better be honest."

"What? Hell nah." He vigorously shook his head. "Can't nobody take this dick like you baby."

I rolled my eyes. "Then why'd you do it?"

"To be honest, I was drunk. I'an really know what I was doing." He stated.

"Hmph... Ok." I crossed my arms.

"Don't worry about these other hoes baby. I'm all yours and you're all mine." He lightly kissed my shoulder.