Chapter 2 - The Organisation

I woke up the next morning to someone knocking on my door. I decided to skip the team dinner last night as I didn't fancy being interrogated with a round of 20 questions.

The knocking continued.

"Alright I'm coming!" I yelled as I slunk out of bed and walked over to the door opening it just enough to see who it was. Natasha.

"Not a morning person?" she said, a mocking smile appearing on her lips.

"Hilarious Natasha, can I help you?"

"Firstly call me Nat and secondly, get changed and come to the gym on the 24th floor. Time to see what you're made off." She winked and walked away.

I umaged through drawers trying to find gym clothes. Eventually I put on black leggins, a white sports bra and a black jacket. I normally wouldn't bother wearing a jacket to train but these were new people who didn't know about my scars. I had a few from combat over the last few years which wasn't uncommon for the people living here. Most were easy to hide but the ones on my back were the biggest and hardest to hide. I wasn't ready to tell that story yet.

I arrived at the gym to see Steve and Bucky sparring, Nat in the middle of an obstacle course created by Wanda who was levitating items to jump on or avoid. Sam was on a treadmill and Clint was practising his aim in an archery similation. Stark's tech really was something.

"Come on over y/n" said Tony, 'speak of the devil' I thought to myself.

He was stood by Bruce who had a tablet in hand, monitoring Steve and Bucky's stats as they fought. It looked intense but they laughed or smiled every now and then showing it was a friendly fight. It was strange to see Bucky smile after he seemed so reserved yesterday but he was with Steve so you figured he was comfortable. Maybe he wasn't as standoffish as you first thought. I caught his eye which distracted him allowing Steve to land a punch in his gut. I sniggered causing Bucky to look at me again. His stare made me feel something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Think you could do better against the great Steve Rogers?" Bucky said raising an eyebrow.

Tony jumped in before I could respond "I'm not sure that's a question you want answered". I didn't have to wonder what he meant by that. It was clear now that he'd read some sort of file on me and knew what I was capable of and that in a ring with Steve I'd find it hard to hold back.

Nat walked over with Wanda, "Come on Tony. What are we going to learn from how hard she can hit a punching bag or run on a treadmill. The best way to see what she can bring to the team is to see her spar."

Tony started "I just think we should-"

"I don't mind" I interjected. Tony's eyes whipped to me, he seemed intrigued by what I could do but there was definitely concern. "Don't worry, I won't hurt anyone." Or at least I'll try not to, I thought to yourself.

Tony gave in. "Okay then, it would be good to see you in action. You up for it Cap?"

Before Steve could answer, I jumped in "Actually, I think I should fight Bucky"

Everyone looked at me like I was crazy, even Bucky seemed taken aback.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" said Sam

Tony chuckled. "You sure are ballsy kid. Barnes?"

Bucky still looked concerned. I stepped into the ring, "Oh come on Bucky, you're the one who challenged my ability to fight Steve so it seems only fair that I spar with you. No offence Steve" Steve held his hands up as if saying he wasn't bothered and stepped out of the ring.