Chapter 16 - Bitter

BUCKY POV

I leant back against y/n's door after slamming it. I could here her crying hysterically behind it which broke my heart but also didn't make sense to me. She was the one who just ended it so why did she seem so broken by it, this was her choice.

I eventually peeled myself away from her door not being able to bare hearing her cry anymore. I felt numb, in disbelief. How had everything just crashed and burned so quickly? It'd been tense at times on the mission but we hadn't been arguing and I refused to believe that she lied when she said she loved me. It just didn't feel right.

Everyone else was already eating at the main dining table but Steve noticed me at the bottom of the stairs staring into space.

"You ok Buck?" He asked but I didn't have a reply for him. "Bucky?", he sounded more concerned now and the rest of the team had noticed the interaction.

"It's over" was all I managed to say. Steve stood up from the table and walked over to me placing a hand on my shoulder.

"What's over?" He asked.

I raised my eyes to meet his, "Y/n call it quits on us. She gave up"

Everyone looked stunned.

"Why the hell would she do that?" Sam asked.

"She said we're too much of a distraction and uh... she said she feels trapped" I replied, my voice breaking on the last word. I'd never meant to suffocate y/n, I just wanted her to feel loved. "It doesn't make any sense to me Steve. She said she was happy"

"Buck I'm so sorry, I don't understand it either" He pulled me into a hug.

"I'm going to go talk to her. We've got to be missing something" Nat said.

I couldn't help but feel some anger bubble to the surface again, "What could I possibly be missing?! She ended it because clearly she's still a heartless assassin and not the girl we thought we knew. She used and then discarded me." I was yelling my the end.

"I don't think you mean that Barnes" Tony interjected sounding angry too. He felt protective over y/n so I had definitely struck a nerve.

"Oh I think he does"

I turned around to see y/n stood at the top of the stairs still teary but now looking very angry and hurt. I hadn't meant for her to hear me as I let my anger out but there was no way to take it back now.

Y/N POV

"So now I'm ruthless, heartless and I used you?". Bucky didn't reply but clenched his jaw which only infuriated me further. I wasn't expecting him to be sunshine and rainbows but the fact that he believed me so quickly about why I ended things and instantly slagged me off to the team crushed me. I guess I didn't  know him at all.

I roughly wiped my tears away, "Well thank you for enlightening us all with your views on my character. I'll make sure to not forget them"

Bucky looked guilty hearing my retort but I didn't have it in me to feel any sympathy for him right now. He'd shown his true colours.

I looked around the room, "I hope you all enjoyed the show." Then I turned and ran back to my room slamming the door behind me and sliding down it feeling my heart break even more. Not only was it over between me and Bucky but he spoke about me with such hatred and I couldn't ignore the small part of me that died when I heard his words.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a soft knock on the door. "Y/n? It's Nat and Wanda. We know you're hurting so we just wanted to give you a hug if you'd like one?". I desperately did so I opened the door and let them walk in before collapsing into them both.