Chapter 40 - The Light that Broke Through

BUCKY POV

I felt complete again holding y/n in my arms as she slept peacefully. It was surreal but in the best way.

I checked the time on my phone and as much as I wanted to stay like this with my beautiful girl all day, if we didn't leave in the next hour we wouldn't make it back in time for when I knew the team had planned to do presents.

I kissed y/n's forehead softly and she adorably snuggled into my chest more.

"Wakey wakey doll" I teased.

"5 more minutes" she groaned, her childishness making me grin.

"No can do sweetheart. We'll be late for your big homecoming reveal."

Y/n opened her eyes and looked up at me lovingly.

"Merry Christmas y/n" I said, the words heavenly to my ears.

"Merry Christmas James" she replied and I hugged her tightly against me before we had no choice but to untangle ourselves.

If today went as well as I hoped it would... it definitely wasn't one y/n would want to sleep through.

*half an hour later*

Y/N POV

(A/N: imagine the dress over the top)

I had just finished my hair when I looked up and saw Bucky smiling and staring at me through the mirror.

"What? Did I miss a bit?" I said trying to find a stray hair that had slipped away.

Bucky chuckled and walked over to me, extending his hand. I took it and he pull me out of my chair and I turned to face him.

"You didn't miss a thing. You look stunning doll." He said, running his eyes over over my body.

I nudged him with my hand and pointed to my eyes with two fingers, "Hey! My eyes are up here buddy."

"I know" he replied cheekily, "I'm just enjoying the view."

"Enjoy from afar Buck or we'll never get to the compound on time" I said trying, and failing, to pull myself out of his hands.

"Well then you shouldn't look this good. It's all your fault really." He taunted.

"Oh really?" I giggled, "We only stopped 3 hours ago! How are you not exhausted?"

"I've always got energy for that" he teased.

"Shocker" I said sarcastically, "Sorry to burst your bubble but I need a bit longer to recover Buck. If you weren't holding onto me right now, my legs would be jelly."

"A job well done then I think" Bucky replied smugly and I playfully rolled my eyes at him.

"Come on Stud, can you carry my suitcases if I get the presents?" I asked.