Chapter 31 - The Monster Within

BUCKY POV

I watched her jump. I watched the love of my life run away from me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Steve came and put his hand on my shoulder but I shrugged him off.

"You should've stopped her" I growled.

"Buck, they would've killed you" he said.

I turned so we were only a few inches away from each other. My face was stern and my voice full of rage, "You should've let them."

"We both know I wasn't going to let that happen." Steve replied staying calm.

"WHY NOT?! BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IN ME? YOU WANT TO HELP ME?! THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS HER AND WE LET HER GIVE HERSELF UP SO EASILY. I LET HER GO!" I practically screamed in his face.

No one moved or spoke. Steve didn't bite back... he just pulled me into a hug. At first I just stood there awkwardly but after a minute or so I lifted my arms and held onto my brother tightly as if he'd disappear too if I didn't.

"She did this for you Buck. For all of us. And I promise you, we'll get your girl back." He said softly to me and I just nodded, not trusting my voice to be strong enough for a reply.

Steve and I pulled apart and I gave him a nod of thanks.

"Where do we start Tony?" Steve asked.

"We'll set up notifications for any sightings and program all CCTV to scout for her." He replied

"We can try to track the cars they left in too but I doubt they'll have made it easy to follow them." Nat added.

"Overall though, it's a crappy version of a Jack in the Box. We just have to wait for her to spring up." Tony said sadly and I felt my feeling of loss only grow.

*2 weeks later*

Y/N POV
"Well done Violet." The voice of my organisation's new leader said from behind a blacked out screen. He interacted with me more than anyone else yet I still never saw his face. He was congratulating me for gaining the intel we needed regarding the location of the Tesserect.

"Thank you Mr.F" that was what he asked me to refer to him as and I was only too happy to oblige.

"My dear, I'm afraid I've neglected to thank you for some of your previous work. I am most grateful to you for eliminating my unhinged predecessor. It opened up the world for me. For us." He said.

I smiled. He could see me even though I couldn't see him. I thought back to killing the previous head of this organisation. How so many of the Avengers had tried to stop me. They had wanted my abuser to walk free. Thank god I hadn't listened.

"No need to thank me Mr.F. I was happy to end his life. It was long overdue revenge." I replied in a smug voice, clearly proud of my choice.

"Indeed it was my child, indeed it was."

I'd grown bold in the weeks I'd been back here. This time I wasn't a pawn and I wasn't being tortured. This time I called the shots. Soldiers followed me and they feared me, like they should. This boldness possessed me to ask for the unthinkable.

"I want to see your face. I want to know who I'm working for." I said without a hint of fear.

"One day Violet. If you fulfill my plans. Do not ask again."

I wasn't afraid of this hidden man but his last words rang in my head as a clear warning. One I shouldn't ignore.

I nodded in agreement, "What next Mr.F?"

"Next my child, you attend a ball and kill the men who have double crossed us and intend to sell the Tesserect at the auction they are holding during the ball. Then retrieve the item and return here."