twenty-eight - him

i wonder what happens

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|Yuki Sohma."

He did not expect you to laugh.

The normal reaction would've been to stutter, to realise all of a sudden what his last name meant he was - a part of the great Sohma family.

But then you moved on from that, saying something about a Wattpad fanfiction, not giving a single ounce of attention to the fact that he was a Sohma.

'Strange. Do you not know?'

Somehow, this fact gave him slight reassurance, though he felt like he was fleeing yet again. From a bigger truth. 'If you knew...'

'Would you run away, too?'

"Wattpad.. fanfiction..?" He tried his best to hold in a laugh when he saw how you reacted.

You were something magical in his eyes, to say the least.
-
"I just knew it. What I felt... That was genuine. Genuine happiness."

You let out a sigh. "Good for you, then. You finally discover what it means to truly be happy," You offered him a tired smile, as if your goals have finally been reached, at long last.

"Thank you." The melodic chimes of a thousand bells belonging to his voice was warm and gentle to your ears, but all you did was shake your head.

"What did I do? That all happened because you were willing to accept change. Thank you for growing."

"Still, you helped me grow. For that, I can't thank you enough." He took your hand in his, and placed his other palm atop your intertwined fingers.

"Hah. It's nothing much, it's not like I did a lot anyway. Why the formalities? I've literally seen you look so stupid before, and I don't think you can go further than that."

Although you clearly meant to crack a joke, he did not break into a smile this time. He let go of your hand, head lowering, eyes no longer silver with the rays of moonlight.

He felt his chest tighten, his breathing slowing. 'Should I really say it... ?'

The air stilled, the wind stopped, and you felt like time itself had stopped, too. As if someone had placed a pause on both your actions. "Yuki...?"

There it was. The voice that uttered his name in such kindness. Not in respect for the sake of respect, not in fear, not in jealousy - and certainly not in hate.

It was in love.

The kindness of love.

That's right. There was no need to be afraid.

And so, Yuki Sohma opened his mouth, breath hitching as he began.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

when you smile.

words: 438
published: 08/06/2021