thirty-eight - you

flowers.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|Either way, you find yourself not wanting to leave.

"Flowers are kind of pitiful, aren't they?"

While basking in the tranquil atmosphere of the school's back garden, you heard a voice behind you. For some reason, it felt a little familiar..

Turning around, you met a pair of astonishingly grey eyes. For a split second, your hopes rose, your spirits lifted-

Then your eyes caught a swish of long, equally grey hair.

Snapping back to reality, the light leaving your colourless orbs for eyes, you looked up at her complete view now. "Oh. It's you."

It was her. The girl who had watered the plant on the very day you had forgotten to. The more you thought about that, you realised you didn't even manage to get her name the last time..

You gave her a slight nod in greeting. "What brings you here?"

"Hmm.." She muttered, her eyes now on the ground before the both of you. "Flowers... Some grow them just to admire their beauty. And when the day comes that they wilt and die... they get thrown away, don't they?"

She then tilted her head to look up at the steadily-brightening sky. "People sure are fond of perfect things, don't you think so? And when they don't meet their standards, they get discarded."

"But when flowers wilt and die off, they turn into soil. The soil helps new plants grow, no?"

Your newfound dazzling eyes while talking about the nature of plants forced the girl to make eye contact with you.

"They are still of help. And it's not like people can do anything much but leave the flower to wilt, right? When they wilt and return to the soil, they aid in the births of new plants."

Silence followed. The next thing you know, you were consciously aware of how you had just went off on a load of things that probably did not even capture the interest of the girl before you.

"...Still of help..." It seemed that she was catching on to what you were saying. Surprised she even followed, you reached out a hand. "Ah! It's alright. You don't have to respond. Sorry, that was my fault for talking too much." You said a bunch of things in a fit of embarrassment.

'Wow, first day back at school and you're already making such progress.'

Being a burden yet again. As a weak attempt to change the topic, you asked, "What's your name? I believe the first time we met, you.."

'You said it wouldn't matter whether or not I knew your name.'

"Machi. Machi Kuragi."

"Kuragi-san..." You registered the feeling of her name rolling off your tongue. You felt it strangely refreshing. Like a new page of a new chapter, different from the previous one. Surprisingly, she did not refuse your request this time like you had expected her to.

"Yes. It's nice to meet you."

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

fragile and silent yet beautiful all the same.

words: 483
published: 19/10/2021
.
.
.
a/n:

helloo everyone again!

yay! a new chapter! hope it was enjoyable for you <3

thank you to everyone's well wishes - i'm very heartened to see all your comments about that. all of your words, no matter how small they seem, they reached me. and i thank you for that. 

see you in a few days! (i definitely did not post the chapter without my a/n.. </3)

~~~