epilogue

* do note minor spoilers (who ends up with who)

this

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

"TIME FOR DINNER!" You shouted at the top of your lungs.

You had just cooked dinner for the family - which is a rare occasion, by the way - and were setting down the several plates at the dining table.

Golden brown gravy with potatoes and carrots atop a bowl full of steamed, slightly sticky white rice. That was the best kind of food to eat - anytime, anywhere.

"YAYYY!!! OUR FAVOURITE!!" Your three children yelled in excitement, each clamouring over the other trying to reach the dinner table first. You laughed at their abundance of energy and effort - it did remind you very well of what you used to be like as a child. Sometimes, it was as if you were looking at a mirror reflection of yourself.

"Oh? Cooking today, dear?" Your mother raised her eyebrows, smiling as she came down the stairs slowly. You nod in response, "I did it the same way you used to."

"Well done," a familiar, melodic voice like the sound of wind chimes said softly behind you. Then you felt a hand embrace you warmly from behind, a few strands of grey hair visible next to you from the corner of your eye.

Your eyes widened, but only momentarily. MOMENTARILY. Your reflexes caught on and you shot Yuki a death glare.

Honestly though, what is your problem? Married life and you are still like this.

Yuki laughed cheerily seeing your reaction as he walked away. It seemed that he was satisfied. Screw him.

"Thank you for the food!!!" Your children chorused. Once everyone was settled at the dinner table, your children started to eat. Yuki ate a spoonful of curry.

"..." As everyone took a bite with the exception of yourself, an unsettling silence filled the room.

"What's the matter?" You asked nervously, wondering how your family found your curry's taste. "Well..." Yuki trailed off, closing his eyes in exasperation. He then sighed, and you could almost see the sweat drop form on his forehead. "I can't defend you anymore."

"Mommy, the food sucks."

Your second child, Natsu, said with a deadpan face, eyes staring straight into your soul. Your mother just laughed after hearing what your daughter had to say. It seems that there was a mutual agreement.

Yuki stood up from his chair, passing by you as he walked to the kitchen. He gave you a reassuring pat on your shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll cook."

--

Now everyone was really settled down and satisfied with the delicious food Yuki had prepared.

"Daddy, your cooking is WAY better!" Your third child, Aki, gave Yuki a thumbs-up.

Yuki laughed. "Cut Mommy some slack, she's better than me at other things."

"Never!" Aki stuck his tongue out at you. Without hesitation, you pulled a funny face back at him.

You cleared your throat. "Anyway, after this would you kids like to visit Aunt Tohru and Uncle Kyo's place? We can countdown to the new year together." You glanced over to Yuki, silently asking if he was alright with going.
He nodded slightly, eyes glistening just a little, as if agreeing.

"YES! YES! WE WANT TO PLAY WITH BIG BRO HAJIME!!" Your children really got along well with Tohru and Kyo's children, which is a good thing in retrospect.

"They've gotten a new pup right?" Yuki turned to ask you. You shrugged, not really sure.

"OMG!! WE NEED A PET TOO!!!" Natsu stood up from her chair, showing her excitement.

"...Can we get a rat?" Haru, your first child, asked. It was the first time she talked after finishing her food.

Huh? What did she just say? You looked over to Yuki once more, amused at your daughter's suggestion. Yuki seemed to feel the same way, though he appeared to be a bit embarrassed.

You knew why. Shortly after the both of you reconciled years back in your youth, he told you everything about his family's conflict. The Sohma family and their curse - about how each member of the inner family will turn into their zodiac animal when touched by someone of the opposite gender outside the family.

Yuki's zodiac was a rat, and the curse explained his confusion the first time he hugged you. It was a bit absurd to take in at first, but it became easier to understand when Tohru connected some of the dots for you. For example, how each inner family member's hair resembled that of their zodiac's representative colour.

That made Yuki's silver hair all the more beautiful. It was representative of the curse he had to bear, along with the struggles he had and the growth that came from it.

Silver.

It became your favourite colour for several reasons.

"A... rat?" Blinking as you asked Haru, pulling yourself back to reality. Haru kept nodding, showing her intense yearn for a rat, somehow... Yuki facepalmed, sighing once more.

"It may not be a very good idea to get a rat..." He trailed off, at a lost for words.

You beamed, turning to all three of your children. Your mother also looked up at you, wanting to know what you were going to say.

Wiggling your eyebrows at them, you said in a sly tone,

"We already have one in the house."

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

feels nice, doesn't it?

words: 875
published: 19/06/2023

a/n: the planning for this was done 2 years ago, along with the ending of the story. i didn't really change anything and just fleshed out the main parts today. hope you enjoy it. :)