twenty-nine - you

if 'i love you' was a promise,

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|And so, Yuki Sohma opened his mouth, breath hitching as he began.

"I'm going."

"Huh?" You blinked.

What did he say? Going? You looked into his silver eyes, searching for any traces of insincerity. 'What does that mean? Is this some sort of joke?'

Your eyes fell to your feet, hands clenched, fingers stiff. 'Going.' He was going. Going. Going...       

Away?

'Oh, no. It's coming back now.' Darkness filled your mind, the rainbows and cloudless skies that Yuki had seemingly helped paint in your safe space dissipating. Back to where it all began, where it was all grey, gloomy, and simply just empty.

You had forgotten how to be skeptical.

You had forgotten how people could leave you in an instant - just like that, before you knew it.

You had forgotten to distrust.

It was all his doing. He made you forget about these things - you trusted him without a second thought. You became closer without a second thought. Without a second thought, you had felt your heart yearning for him more and more.

And then, this. You felt like your head was finally out of the water, after so, so long drowning, immersed, blind.

"Why?" Your throat went dry, your voice now hoarse as you asked. You didn't dare to look him in the eye, your own ones still surveying the floor, lost. Faded. Black. Nothing. Empty.

Alone.

"Y/n." Despite the heavy, growing feelings inside of you, this voice still sounded like a thousand windchimes playing a bittersweet melody. Especially so when it spoke your name.

You lost the willpower to speak, eyes moving up the slightest, just enough for his sorry silver eyes to be within your view. 

'What?'

The first thing he did was smile, his eyebrows bent upwards in an expression that whispered a hundred apologies. Then, he held out a hand, taking yours in his, intertwining your fingers together once more. The both of you had one of your arms outstretched in order to keep your fingers intertwined - but you were hardly aware of this. All you could think of was how silver his eyes looked, especially with the night's light of the moon.

After, he spoke.

"We may not meet again." He raised a finger with his other hand.

"But, I will try my best to find you, if I ever have the chance to."

Subconsciously, your fingers gripped his ones harder, as if you were trying to hold something in - which you were.

And then you finally found the words you had been meaning to speak, ever since he told you he was going. Strangely, the words did not feel foreign. Yet, they felt like it'd be the last thing you would have ever said to someone, or something.

"Why do you have to leave me, too?"

Drip. Drip. Drip.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

would you break it, if you're honest?

words: 500 (ooh, long!)
published: 12/06/2021