forty-seven - us

maybe this man

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|"How have you been?"

Like a fool, after running rounds around the neighbourhood in your school shoes that looked like they were on the verge of breaking, you were still unable to find a house with the Sohma name plate.

Maybe you were not meant to find him after all. For all you know, he might've left the country, never to return. You sigh in defeat as you think this was probably the case. Maybe the name plate had already been removed due to this.

Lost, you found your feet taking you to the one place that you could never get wrong with. It was the place where everything had begun. Heck, it was even the place where it all ended! How hilariously ironic. Not that you were laughing.

Sighing, you walked over. Little did you know, the very person you were looking for was right in front of you. Your senses heightened, with your heart beating so fast you felt like your heart was going to stop at any moment.

Trying to calm your nerves, you steadily took step by step towards the figure whose back was unmistakably the person you had been searching for all this time. You'd seen this back view so many times it was hard to forget, even if you wanted to.

Leaning against the railing with your back facing it, the first words that came to your mind were, "How have you been?"

The boy next to you flinched, alerted by your presence.

Your eyes met, and the both of you stayed in that position for some time, neither of you uttering a word. His silver eyes were as pretty as ever. Though, there was a certain lightness to them you've not seen before...

You laughed softly. "This is rather funny, no? I spent all this time searching for you, wanting to see you, and then I forget about the most important thing - what I'm going to say to you." You shifted your weight to the other foot.

"Then I started to wonder whether or not I was meant to see you. I even thought you might've left the country already, or something like that. And then I found you here." You covered your eyes with your hand, feeling the exhaustion of running around the neighbourhood for hours finally kicking in, the adrenaline from before fading.

"Here I am." He replied, softly. A bittersweet smile tugging at the corners of his lips, he continued, "I wanted to see you, too. But then I thought, maybe I didn't deserve to see you again. After all..." He trailed off, not wanting to push the topic further.

"Then I thought to myself, maybe coming to this place alone would suffice. But look who I found."

Strange.

How the both of you desiring to see the other led to the both of you here. Well, it did happen, didn't it?

"I'm sorry." The both of you said together, each looking the other earnestly in the eye, not wanting to drag this out any longer.

"I..." The both of you said at the same time yet again, caught off guard by how in-sync you were. You gestured for him to go first with a tiny wave of your hand. He closed his mouth, uncertain, then opened it again. "I shouldn't have done that. I was already leaving, and then I had the audacity to kiss you right before that-"

A blush crept up to your cheeks. Right. That deep kiss. The one he initiated. The one that probably meant-

You slapped yourself internally. 'FOCUS! HE'S TELLING YOU SOMETHING THAT'S PROBABLY IMPORTANT TO HIM!' You tried to meet his eyes once more.

"Yeah. I'm sorry about that. I probably caused you to hurt a lot more than it should've. I just had some... family business to take care of. It's all okay now."

Oh? He never mentioned that before. But you could always tell in the past that there was something definitely bothering him, and it wasn't because of something at school - it was much more than that.

"Yeah? It's all okay now?" You patted his shoulder, not unlike a mother's action toward their child. Alarmed by the contact, Yuki just nodded soundlessly. "That's good..." You started to nod to yourself too, feeling relieved for him that whatever he had been going through was all settled now."

"I'm sorry that I wasn't able to be with you through that, but I hope it's really okay now. Do you feel better? You must have had a hard time.." You trailed off, waiting for his answer.

Seeing how you seemed to be very concerned about whatever he had been going through, a small smile found his way to his lips again. (and never before had he ever seen you so uncertain) "Yes. I'm all better now." 'Especially now that you're here.'

Sighing in relief for him, you looked down. "I'm sorry, I... I didn't explain myself that day, I just went and, y'know, without your permission..." Never before had you felt so lost, not knowing what to say next. You did feel really apologetic though. As much as you want to validate your feelings, it's not right to just jump on them...

"Uh. I wanted to thank you, too." It was his turn to speak again. "I was really losing hope at that point, the day I left... I had no will to face my family head-" He took a breath. "Then I heard your voice in my head, urging me, egging me on and I just went and did it..." It was even stranger because just the day before he had left you, yet you were still able to help him not in body, but in mind.

You smiled - it seemed that he was finally able to face some things head on. You were happy for him. "It's nothing. If you didn't listen, I wouldn't have been of help either way. You did this by yourself. Good job."

"I wanted to thank you too! I've gathered some courage of my own as well..." You felt like it was almost hilarious, how the both of you wanted to express feelings of apology and gratitude. "I've made another friend too. She's nice."

Before you could even think about what else to say or do since it was getting late and you should really be getting home before your mother worries, you found yourself getting pulled into a hug, his chin resting on your shoulder.

Shocked, you took a moment to register what had happened before slowly melting into it as well. It felt nice, it really did. He smelled really nice too - like fresh flowers on a spring day.

"Is it okay if we stay like this a little longer...?" You heard him whisper into your ear. 'TOO CLOSE!' Another, deeper blush formed on your cheeks.

"Yes..." You replied, muffled since you were wrapped into the hug. "Sorry if I'm being selfish."

"It's fine, really. It's really fine, don't worry, okay?" You patted his back as hard as you could, since he had you wrapped up so tight in his embrace. A moment's passing after was all it took for him to register that something was off in this hug he had initiated.

'This hug.. I'm not turning into a rat?' He wondered, dumbfounded. He brought up one of his arms to inspect, not believing what he was feeling. "Y/n, I'm... I'm still a human, right?"

"Yes...?" You replied, puzzled by the weird question.

The first thing he felt was relief. Then he felt happiness, then gratitude. He felt all his emotions pouring out of him quickly. It was almost terrifying for him to experience. He hugged you tighter, not wanting to let go any time soon.

"I..." He closed his eyes, leaning the side of his head against yours.

"I love you."

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

is not so bad after all.

words: 1331
published: 31/12/2021