seven - you

Why do we smile?

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|"It's my first."

You gave him a 'bruh'-look. "So you prefer me to know you by your first name instead of your last?"

"That pretty much sums it up, huh?" The way he said it - so happily and proud with his silky voice ringing like a gentle bell, as if that statement made sense - caused you to shake up in laughter.

Strange.

As you continued to release giggle after giggle, a queer sound emitting from you, escaping from your system - the cold, empty shell that you were starting to lose hope in.

What is this feeling?

It felt nice. A feeling of warmth engulfing your being.

You've never felt it before.

The boy found it rather amusing that you two had taken turns being the one laughing and the one being laughed at. He found himself yet again trying to suppress a smile, but those grey eyes told you no lie.

As you took in the sight, you scoffed lightly. Answering the quizzical look he gave you, "It's funny. How hard you try not to show what you're feeling."

Yuki immediately turned away, his eyes focused on anything but yours, like a shy child. "You can see it?"

"Yes, crystal clear." You answered curtly, wondering why he had sounded so doubtful with that darker tone when he asked you that question. 

This time, Yuki didn't reply completely, only responding with a soft "Hmm." as both of you continue to walk to school.

The silence that hung in the air between the both of you was not threatening or menacing at all. It felt.. comfortable.

-(*☆*)-

As the buzzing school came into view, you sighed, one hand gripping the sling of your school bag. Time for another day in that class.

"Bye, smilemore."

"Sm- what?" Yuki gave you a questioning look that reflected how absurd your nickname for him was.

"Smile. More." You flashed him a quick smile in an attempt to provoke him - not too much, just a little. Then you waved hurriedly, before disappearing off to your classroom.

As the grey-haired boy watched your back, vanishing down a nearby corridor, you had absolutely no idea the effect that your last words to him had on the boy.

"Smile... more?"

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

..especially when we feel the most pain?

words: 369
published: 4/10/2020