Thirty Five

***Important Question in Author's Note***
(also this is kind of a double update so make sure you've read 34)

Harry's P.O.V. January 28th

"We have a meeting with our lawyers Monday at 2pm. We can bring Charlie if we need to," I tell Em who's nearly asleep on the couch while holding Charlie who is asleep. I just got off the phone with one of our lawyers who I've been in close contact with lately.

"Okay," Em yawns and turns her head to rest her cheek on the couch cushion.

"Let me put her in her room and we can take a nap in an actual bed," I reach my arms out to pick up Charlie and Em allows me to do so. Charlie wakes up and starts wailing as soon as I lift her. Em and I both wince at the sudden noise. Since the flight, we've had trouble with Charlie's sleep schedule. Neither of us foresaw having such problems with the time change, but either way Charlie is not doing well with the jet lag.

"Shh, Charlie," I sway her in my arms as I walk up the stairs to her room. "You're going back to bed, it's okay. Shh."

I try setting her in her the crib, but her cries seem to get louder when I do so. I turn the lights off and the mobile on, but she doesn't let up. You'd think the crying would tire her out, so she'd go to sleep faster, but I guess babies don't work that way.

I sing all the songs I usually do to put her to sleep, but the crocodile tears keep coming. "Darling, please. Go to sleep for Daddy." I hope Em figures out a way to sleep through the noise because I don't know how long this will last and she needs to rest.

"Charlie-bean, baby. You're fine, just please go to sleep," I rub my temple as I feel the start of a headache coming on.

I know it's bad habit, but at this point I don't care. I give in and pick up Charlie from her crib and begin rocking her to sleep in the chair. If it means holding her while she sleeps every night and every nap, I'll get used to it, just as long as she sleeps.

I sing a few songs and slowly lull her to sleep. I'm exhausted by the time her eyes stay closed and I so badly want to join Em in bed, but I'm scared that if I move, she'll wake up.

I don't think I fall asleep, but I'm so dazed that I don't know how much time has passed when Em opens the door to the nursery. All I know is, I've been staring at the wall across from me for far too long.

"Baby, have you slept at all?" Em whispers and turns on a lamp. She must have changed to sleep because she's in an old pair of sweats of mine and one of my old tour sweatshirts.

"No," I speak and my voice croaks. Charlie is still asleep in my arms, so as long as she stays asleep that's all that matters.

"Go to bed, Harry. I'll take care of her if she wakes." At this point, I don't even try to argue. I just gently set Charlie in Em's arms and drag myself to bed. Charlie cries, but I find my airpods and put them in to block out the sound. I feel bad doing so, but I fall asleep almost immediately once hitting the pillow.

***

January 31st

"She's still not asleep?" I left to go grocery shopping before leaving for our meeting with our lawyers and when I left Charlie was fighting sleep. Now, as soon as I open the door, I hear her cries.

"No, she won't stop crying. I've tried everything, Harry." Em sounds and looks defeated once I finally make it upstairs into Charlie's room.

"Could there be another reason why she's crying? Is something wrong?" I ask. I wasn't here to know how or when she started crying, so I really don't know how to help yet.