Thirty Nine

Emma's P.O.V. April 5th, Charlie 4 months

Harry has just left to go to the studio for the first time since before the wedding. He's not working towards an album yet, but there are a few songs he wants to continue writing and I can tell he's had a lot of inspiration lately because he's been talking about this day for weeks.

While I was happy for Harry to get back into work, Charlie was not. She's starting to get more attached to the both of us—even more so than before—so when Harry had to say goodbye this morning she cried nonstop. It's like she knew he would be away from her all day.

The tears actually started before that, when Harry had to stop her from putting everything within reach into her mouth.

"Harry, watch your necklace," I told him to save his jewelry from getting coated in slobber and to save Charlie from choking on the pendants.

"Hey, hey, hey," Harry removed one of his hands that was supporting her to tuck the chain into his shirt.

"We only put food, pacifiers, and safe, sanitized, toys into our mouth," he told her as she began to whimper.

"You're so silly sometimes. You're my silly little Sunflower," Harry continued to talk her down in a playful manner. We thought it worked for a second, but after coming to terms with not being able to eat Harry's necklace, she tried his ear.

"Charlieee," he grimaced and turned his head away while pulling her back. "That was not very nice," he pouted and used the back of his hand to wipe his ear.

I finally found her pacifier and stuck in her mouth, but when Harry had to leave for real and he passed Charlie to me, she spit it out so she could cry.

"Sorry," Harry frowned but I assured him that she would be fine and it's good for her to have some time away from him. I'm starting to worry that she's having separation anxiety.

So that brings us to now, where I'm trying to distract Charlie with her bouncy seat and some of Harry's songs.

"Who could that be?" I exaggerate the question before picking her up to take her with me to answer the gate buzzer.

"Charlie-bean! Grandma's here!" I gasp and smile as I open the gate and watch my mom pull into the driveway.

Charlie starts to get excited too when she sees her grandma stepping out of her car. I'm surprised because she didn't tell me she was coming, but I'm glad because maybe I can get some real work done if someone else is here to help with Charlie.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I open the front door and she immediately drops her purse to take Charlie from my arms.

"Hello, my baby!" she smiles and kisses her cheeks, "Hi, honey. I was just in the city and thought I would stop by," she tells me.

"Why were you in the city?" I laugh. I know my mom agreed to move here sometime soon, but she's still not a huge fan of LA so I can't imagine why she'd come here other than to visit us.

"You might be happy to know I closed on a house this morning," she smiles, and I gasp for real this time.

"You're serious?" My mom nods, "When did this happen!"

My mom walks towards the living room to sit with Charlie as she begins explaining herself.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," she shrugs, "I know you and Harry offered to help out, but I didn't want to put any pressure or stress on your shoulders. Plus, I have a feeling you're really going to love the house."