Forty Nine

Emma's P.O.V. September 23rd, Charlie 9 months

"HARRY!" I fumble with the gate's code and sprint out to the street.

"Please back up, ma'am," an officer steps out from his car and blocks my way.

"That's my husband!" I yell, trying to push through but I'm stopped by another officer.

"Is your husband a 60-year-old under the influence of hard drugs posing as a homeless man? Didn't think so. Your husband is fine, let us do our job please."

I step to the side, immediately calmer now that I know Harry is okay, but still annoyed at the rude cop. I look around and spot Harry on the sidewalk holding his chest and breathing heavily, so I run over to meet him. While running around the cars, I catch a glimpse of David on the ground. He doesn't seem to be injured badly, though.

"Emmy, oh my god I was so scared for you," Harry's arms immediately pull me against his chest, squeezing me incredibly hard. He rests his head on mine and presses kisses in my hair saying, "I love you, I love you."

"I'm okay," I finally move my head to look up at him once I realize he's not as emotionally stable as I thought.

"I was worried about you, baby," I place my hands on his cheeks and run my thumbs under his eyes.

"Why? You were in danger; I can't even begin to explain how sick I was when I saw all your missed calls. And then he was right there, so close to you," his eyes begin to water.

"Shh," I pull his face down to my level, so our foreheads meet and our noses touch. "Everything is okay now," I whisper and give him a gentle kiss.

"I love you," he tells me again, "I'm so sorry about all of this."

"It's not your fault," I shake my head, "Wait—how did you know that's David?"

"I didn't until I got here, but I'll explain more later. I promise," he kisses me again and then an officer walks up to us.

"This is the guy you called about?" He asks, pointing behind him to David who's being handcuffed.

"Yes, he's technically her dad. He's been harassing and threatening people, and he just had a knife when chasing after me—"

"Yeah, we got the knife. We're going to take him to the hospital and get him checked out, but then I'm going to need you two at the station for some questions," he says, "Also, no parking allowed on this street," he hands Harry a ticket.

"Sir, I was—"

"Your emergency lights weren't on," he shrugs and walks away leaving Harry open mouthed holding onto the ticket.

"Man, fuck cops," Harry mumbles under his breath causing us both to chuckle a little.

***

"Hey, how are you doing?" Jared lightly knocks on Charlie's door where the two of us are playing before bedtime.

"I'm alright," I sigh, "I'm oddly, content? I don't know, seeing him handcuffed and escorted away was pretty therapeutic. Part of me feels like I should feel bad for him, but I don't."

"That's understandable," he sits down on the other side of Charlie, "I'm glad I wasn't here when it all went down, otherwise I'd be on trial for murder right now."

I laugh, but I know he's not really joking. "Between you and Harry, he would have been dead in minutes."

"Where's Harry now?" Jared asks.

"Still at the station fighting his parking ticket," I roll my eyes. I don't get why he doesn't just pay it. "Charlie needed to eat though so we left, but he should be back soon."

"The boys need dinner too, but I wanted to stop by and make sure you're okay. Have you talked to your mom yet?"

"Yeah, I did when I picked Charlie up. I kind of had a feeling that's what was going on between her and David, but I was always too afraid to ask. I feel terrible that he got to her again though. She swears she's okay, and maybe she is, but I still worry about her."

"I do too," Jared nods, "I'm really glad she moved closer. And I hate to cut this short, but the boys are waiting for me, so I've got to go," he stands.

"I understand. We'll see you soon,"

"Hey," he stops in the doorway, "I love you Emma, and I'm really proud of you."

"I love you too," I smile, "Thank you for everything."

"Bye Charlie!" Jared and Charlie exchange waves and then he's gone.

"Alright, Charlie. Let's go set up for a movie night with Daddy," I pick her up and she gives me a silly dimpled smile at the mention of her dad.

"Do you want to watch Ariel? Daddy loves that movie, and I'm sure he won't be in a great mood when he gets home," I talk as I pop some popcorn and open Disney Plus on our bedroom TV.

Sure enough, I'm right about Harry's mood because when he gets home, I hear the slamming of keys on the kitchen counter and the rough opening and closing of the fridge.

"We're up here!" I yell from our room and a few minutes later Harry walks in drinking one of his gross smoothies.

"I had to pay the ticket," he frowns and plops down on the bed, setting his smoothie on his nightstand.

"I think you need some Charlie snuggles and a movie to make you feel better," I let go of my hold on Charlie and she crawls over the blankets to Harry, falling onto his torso like she's giving him a hug.

He picks her up hugs her closer to him as he lays down to get comfy for the movie. Charlie isn't as interested in The Little Mermaid though. She'd rather cuddle with her dad.

I can tell she's getting sleepy because she lays quietly with her head on his shoulder, but her drool is pooling on his shirt. He doesn't care though, he just leans his head lightly on hers with one arm wrapped around her tiny body and stares at the TV screen like he's a little kid mesmerized by the mermaid with bright red hair.

It's a nice calm and cozy night to end our frantic day.

*

*

*

A/N: OMGGGGG ONE CHAPTER LEFT!!!!

Chapter 50 will be up tomorrow, followed by an announcement on the sequel, "Charlie Robin Styles" (i know, it's not very original but idgaf, it makes sense)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3