Forty

Hello everyone! Just a little note before you read chapter 40—after almost a month (lol sorry) I finally updated with chapter 39 yesterday. In case you didn't get a notification or something, make sure you read that chapter before this one!!! Also, there's another important A/N at the end here : )

Harry's P.O.V. April 5th, Charlie 4 months

"Harry... Harry... HAROLD!"

"WHAT!" I look up from my phone to see Mitch staring me down from his seat on the couch next to me. He has a guitar sat on his lap and a notebook and pencil in front of him on the coffee table adjacent to my songwriting notebook.

"Were you paying attention to anything we were asking you?" Kid says.

"Um..."

"Christ, dude. Just ask her to come in for lunch or something, and then get the fuck off your phone and focus on writing. I know you've got a million ideas in that book of yours," Mitch says.

"How did you know what I was doing?" I question my best friend, but he just shakes his head along with Kid.

"You've been smiling at your phone for the past five minutes and we can see you swiping through your photos. We get it, your daughter is adorable, but we're kind of working here."

"Sorry," I close my phone and set it on the table screen-side down. "I opened it to listen to a voicenote I took the other day, but I must have gotten distracted."

"No kidding," Kid mumbles.

"It's okay," Mitch says, "You should ask Emma to meet us for lunch though. I miss Charlie," he frowns a little, but I can't tell if he's being genuine or just making fun of me.

"Alright, alright. I'll ask her and then we can get back to work."

"Well, I guess Jillian is at the house so Em can't make it for lunch," I tell them as I finish texting Em.

"That's too bad. Anyways, I was thinking for that first verse maybe strip it down to just the two guitars and the vocals..."

***

After the rough start, Kid, Mitch, and I ended up having a really productive session. We finished two songs that I had started months ago before the wedding, and we pieced together a few more that I had ideas for over the past few weeks.

I'm glad to be back home now though. Em said something about going through some old stuff of hers that was in Jillian's basement. I am kind of confused as to why she's here, but I don't mind.

"Hello, Jillian," I greet my mother-in-law as I walk into the kitchen from the garage.

"Harry! It's so good to see you," she stops preparing a bottle to hug me.

"I'm happy to see you too, but can I ask why you're here?"

"Oh, I thought Emma would have told you! I bought a house and completely moved out of my old one!"

"Jillian, that's awesome! I'm so happy for you, when do you move in?"

"Thank you," she smiles and screws the lid of the bottle on to begin shaking it. "I only closed on it this morning, but it's completely furnished so I can move in as soon as this Friday. I don't have much to move in, just some clothes and other necessities that will live in my car until Friday."

"Did Em fix one of the guest rooms for you to stay in? If not, I can do that right now," I begin to say but she cuts me off.

"It's all been taken care of, honey. Here, you feed Charlie and I'll start on dinner," Jillian hands me the bottle she just prepared.