Chapter Four

A/N: helloo you beautiful people

so i've been rewatching the harry potter movies again and i just-- i want james and lily and harry to all be one happy family so bad 😭 i also heard that they're turning the books into a show with each book being a season and i'm lowkey excited cause it'll be more harry potter content and i am more than okay with that

moving onto this chapter, it's the new years party that i promised you guys ;)

like i said before, this is THE party and while this chapter is a bit angsty, it's probably the last angsty chapter for a long time and you might not like me at the end of this chapter, but don't officially decide to hate me until after next week's chapter 😁

as for this week, enjoy reading this (mildly) angsty and relatively long chapter!

————————————————————

"There's something we need to talk about."

————————————————————

"You ready?" Tony asked.

The billionaire himself had offered to drop her off at the party. After the whole hospital thing, he really wasn't ready to let her go anywhere on her own just yet. He had volunteered to park his Maserati off to the side and wait until the party was over, but Adelaide had convinced him to go home and that she would be fine because Peter and Ned and Vivian were all here.

Currently, they were parked by the curb and Adelaide was nervously watching the party from outside Flash's house. It was in full swing-- Ned and Vivian and the rest of the decathlon team were already there. She bit her lip. She couldn't pinpoint what it exactly was, but she felt like she shouldn't go in. Like...Like if she went inside, she would be the girl who got shot or the girl who went into a coma.

Or worse, the girl who had killed her last tie to HYDRA and was officially no longer an assassin.

She felt...normal. And being normal felt strange. So strange. She didn't know how to behave or where to put her hands. It had taken her over an hour just to find something to wear. For some reason, she didn't want to wear black anymore (which made finding something to wear just that much harder because really all she had were black clothes). She didn't have to hide a knife in her boots anymore or constantly be on the lookout for danger.

Even though Lukov was finally gone, Adelaide was left with anxiety to fill his absence in her life.

And she had a feeling it would take a lot more than a New Year's party to help her feel normal again.

"Adie?" Tony asked when she didn't reply. She snapped out of it, looking over at him as if she had just remembered that he was here.

"Oh— sorry. Y-Yeah, I'm ready," she mumbled, opening her seatbelt. He watched her.

"Hey, hey, hold on a second," he said. She paused, looking at him. Her bright blue eyes seemed to glow in the dark car. "If you want me to turn this car around, we can go straight home. Just say the word."

If she didn't do this now, she would never be able to start getting over her past.

"I promise, I'm fine," she smiled softly. She leaned over the console to kiss his cheek before opening the car door and stepping out. "Love you. Bye."

Tony rolled down the window on her side.

"Adie," he called, making her stop and look over her shoulder at him curiously. He smiled. "Happy new year, hon."