Chapter Sixty-Five

A/N: welcome back!

i am feeling so lazy today, i just wanna curl up in my bed and watch a bunch of cute movies but i can't 😭

anyway, i don't remember what happens in this chapter i think i wrote it a few months ago but it's (probably) good? idk have fun

————————————————————
"I don't think you're stupid enough

to try to kill me, are you?"
————————————————————

Adelaide woke up to the sunlight pouring in through her east-facing window and the brilliant, golden hue of the light told her it was much later in the day than she'd like it to be.

She let out a low groan, rolling over to rub her tired eyes. The forgotten cuts on her knuckles throbbed mercilessly as she did and, just like that, she was suddenly wide-awake. Her eyes fluttered open, squinting in the light of the room. There was a moment of disorientation as she tried to remember how she ended up here when she'd been in the living room downstairs. Faint memories of Steve carrying her upstairs flashed through her mind, and she let out a sigh.

She really, really hated mornings.

After some forcible hygienic routines in the bathroom, she lazily made her way downstairs. It was late already, past noon so when she entered the kitchen, she poked her head in the fridge for something to heat up or defrost for lunch. Her stomach grumbled as if reminding her just how hungry she was.

Adelaide was in the middle of heating up some pasta when Natasha walked in, clad in a plain t-shirt and joggers with her hair tied up into a ponytail.

"Yes, I do know what time it is," Adelaide sighed, pulling her pasta out of the microwave. Natasha smiled and took a seat at the kitchen island across from the teenager. "Where's Griffin?"

"Didn't realize you two were already so close that you can't have one meal without him," Natasha said. Adelaide almost laughed.

"The opposite, actually," she said, "I have to keep an eye on him. Last time he was here, he had an agenda."

"Oh?" Natasha asked, raising an eyebrow.

"He wanted revenge on the Avengers for killing Thanos," Adelaide said, casting her eyes down at her plate, "He was using me to get closer to you guys."

"And now he's not?"

"That's still up for debate," Adelaide sighed.

"If he tries to kill me, tell him in advance I said I'm sorry for breaking all his bones," the assassin said with her trademark smirk, making the teenager smile. As if he had been listening to their conversation, Griffin walked into the kitchen right after that. He looked like he'd already gotten dressed, clearly having been awake for longer than she had. Adelaide and Natasha shared a look as he poured himself a cup of water.

"So, Griffin," Natasha said, "You a morning person?"

"Depends on how many broken bones I have," he answered smoothly, joining them at the island, "Usually it's under two so I aim for six o'clock. Still getting used to the hours here, though."

"Mm, I bet it's easier to scout for potential murder locations earlier in the morning, isn't it?" the assassin asked. Adelaide stifled a laugh by stuffing her face with more pasta. Griffin looked at her as if she'd let him down before he pressed his lips together, slightly embarrassed.

"I wouldn't know, I've never tried," he answered. Natasha smiled.

"Good answer," she said, "How many hours were in a day back home?"