Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N: y'all it's showdown time

this chapter is where it's alll been leading up to and we'll finally get to see who wins this weird game

also i'm posting from my phone and can't post a gif, but here's my Spotify wrapped instead (it's wrong, i don't just listen to mindless pop, spotify is just tripping. i promise my music has flavor). btw this is your friendly reminder to listen to the into light playlist if you haven't already, link in my bio!

anyway, enjoy this chapter!

————————————————————
"This is so embarrassing to admit but...

I've actually been dying to kiss you all day."
————————————————————

"Oh, you smell great," Adelaide grinned, "Betty's gonna be lost as a sheep strayed from the herd."

After agreeing to go on the date with Betty yesterday, today had been all about how to win. Betty kept sending him flirtatious looks all day long and Peter, although not the best at fake flirting, managed to a couple of flirty smiles. At least, he hoped they looked like smiles and not grimaces. He never had to do the whole flirting thing before. With Ada, he didn't have to think about what to say or do around her. Everything came naturally.

But this was unmarked territory.

"So I'm date ready?" he asked, fixing the collar of his shirt. Ada smoothed out the wrinkles with her hands.

"Adelaide approved," she grinned.

At the moment, they had finished the decathlon meeting for today and Ada had pulled him out of the auditorium and into the secluded hallway to prepare him before he went back for his big date with Betty.

"Ada, what if...it goes too far?" he asked. She held his shoulders and gave a light squeeze before looking into his eyes.

"I trust you," she said honestly, making him smile. She quickly pecked his lips. "Remember what we talked about, okay? Now go back in there and win this for me— us, I mean us."

Peter took a deep breath and slowly pushed open the doors to the auditorium. When he walked inside, he found that Betty was already standing there in the empty auditorium, waiting for him. He swallowed nervously. Betty grinned at him.

"Hey, tiger. Ready for our date?" she asked as he walked towards her.

Unbeknownst to her, Adelaide was carefully peeking at them from the back doors of the auditorium. At the same time, Vivian, MJ, and Flash were watching them from behind the curtains on the stage. They were all holding their breaths in anticipation of who would give in first. While both candidates looked strong on the outside, on the inside, they were just a few forced romantic moments away from bolting in the opposite direction.

"You bet," Peter said nervously, "But I was thinking...what if we had the date backwards?"

Betty paused, stopping in front of him. She frowned, "What?"

"I mean, what if we kissed first and then went on the date?" he said, carefully watching her expression. He could see a slight panic in her eyes.

Betty swallowed. This wasn't part of the plan. No one ever said she would have to kiss Peter Parker. Going on a date was one thing, but kissing Adelaide's boyfriend? Betty couldn't even imagine the wrath she'd have to face if that happened. Maybe Adelaide would take pity on her and only bury her alive. That wouldn't be so bad. Right?