Chapter Eighty-One

A/N: this chapter is soo late and i'm so sorry

midterm season came out of nowhere and kicked my ass two weeks ago and i'm still recovering. it was awful. like really awful. and i'm dreading going back to campus after spring break. i'm getting so sick of college honestly. it's just lab after lab after lab and then just when you think you're done, bam. exams.

anyway, i also have had this writer's block that will not go away and i'm aching to write but i can't and it's driving me crazyyyy :((

my head feels all muddled and scattered and all i want to do is curl up in my bed, eat whatever the hell i want, and binge tv shows back to back. i'm in the middle of scandal rn and tony goldwyn is kinda hot but his chemistry with kerry washington is even hotter 👀

anyway, onto the chapter.

———————————————————

"No pulling pranks on your teachers."

———————————————————

Morgan was starting school soon and Adelaide wanted everything to be perfect for her. Pepper had been looking into which schools would be the best for her and Adelaide had taken a few afternoons from doing nothing in the penthouse to get caught up to speed. There were two options that looked good, but Morgan really had her mind set on a Grayson Canyon, a private school in Manhattan so the choice was made.

And just a few weeks later, it was time for Morgan's first day.

All three of them went to drop her off. Adelaide had spent most of her days with the little girl since she'd first returned so watching her stand there in her cute little backpack and schoolgirl clothes brought a wetness to her eyes. She hadn't realized how old Morgan had really gotten already and she could just hear what Tony would have said to her if he had been here to drop her off on her first day.

So when Pepper and Happy were out of earshot, Adelaide crouched down to her knees and held her baby sister by her shoulders.

"Remember, Mor, school just isn't about learning. It's about having fun. And occasionally pulling a prank or two on the teacher," she said with a wink, "Remember the ones we pulled on Happy back home?"

Morgan nodded, giggling. Adelaide smiled.

"You're gonna love school, Mor," she said, giving her shoulders a brief squeeze.

"Did you like it when you went?" she asked. Adelaide faltered to form an answer. Did she like school? She had loved it for her friends and the clubs, but she hadn't been there in so long that she'd forgotten what it felt like. The early mornings, late nights, the assignments, and exams. The decathlon meetings and lunches in the cafeteria with Vivian and Ned and MJ and school dances.

It had all just sort of...stopped when Peter died.

She hadn't even looked back since. It was yet another part of her past that she hadn't grieved. And it had been so big too. She still remembered her first day after Tony and Pepper had forced her to go. She'd met Peter for the first time there. How could she have just forgotten about that entire part of her life altogether so easily?

"Adie?" Morgan said, waving a hand in front of her face. Adelaide blinked, snapping out of it.

"I loved school," she replied quietly, with a bittersweet smile, "And you're gonna love it too."

"Morgan?" Pepper said from behind. Both girls turned to look at their mother who smiled. "It's time for us to go, sweetie. Have lots and lots of fun today, okay?"