Chapter Eighty-Three

A/N: holy cow it's been a minute

first of all, happy new year! i know it's been a minute so here's a quick recap: adelaide (i) had the brilliant idea of sending herself through the time machine to de-age herself by five years just so she could go back to high school and win peter back—also to get back those five years she lost, but really we're just excited about the whole peter development

listen, i've discovered a new favorite trope of mine and it is groveling. i mean, on-your-knees begging kind of groveling and adelaide is going to be doing a whole lot of it because she really messed up peter when they broke up (someone remind me how long did they break up? lol it's been a while for me)

also i wanna thank @insert_hp_here for this beautiful cover art in the banner above (and down here)! you really made it feel like they're actually together and it's so pretty 🥹

enjoy the first chapter of adelaide back at midtown!

———————————————————————————
"He would be so happy

to see you like this."
———————————————————————————

"You did what?" Pepper said when she told her.

When her daughter appeared at the doorstep of the cabin, the woman knew something about her looked different. The obvious thing was her hair, but even something about her face looked different. She looked younger, and Pepper had a sinking suspicion about it, which was confirmed the moment she told her the truth.

"Bruce ran like a million checkups on me. He swears I'm healthy, and everything is okay," Adelaide promised, leading the woman to the couch so she could sit down. She really looked like she could use it, which was fair. She had, after all, just heard her daughter tell her she had aged backward by five years.

"Adelaide, I can't even begin to--" Pepper started.

"Pep, I swear, I'm fine," Adelaide said, reaching to hold her hand. There was a small smile on her face that refused to leave ever since she had stepped out of Bruce's machine. There were still a million things that she still needed to figure out. Like how she was going to fix her age or her birth certificate if that was even possible or how she would be able to enroll in school again and how the world was going to take it when they found out Tony Stark's daughter aged backward. She knew it would cause chaos in the media.

Everyone would want to use the machine for their own purposes. She would have to lie, say that she used her powers to de-age herself instead of the time machine.

"I can't believe you didn't even tell me," Pepper finally said, "You can't just...turn sixteen again without at least talking to me about it first."

"It was an impulse decision. After dropping Morgan off at school for the first time, I started thinking about my first day at Midtown and...I need those five years of my life back, Pepper. I need to do this," Adelaide said, "I know it's selfish and reckless and stupid, but maybe I need to be those things again. My life now...I have no idea where it's going. I'm a high school dropout, Pep, and you know I can do better than that."